/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Nigeria

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
FILE PHOTO: A sign with the logo of French oil and gas company TotalEnergies is pictured at a petrol station in Bouguenais near Nantes, France, November 14, 2022. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe/File Photo

February 8, 2024

A boost is on the horizon for Nigeria’s crude oil production output as TotalEnergies and its partners yesterday announced the start of production from the Akpo West field on the...

Trending

Xenophobia: 83 Nigerians arrive Lagos from South Africa

Eighty-three Nigerians have returned to Lagos from South Africa amid renewed xenophobic attacks targeting African migrants.   According Channels Television, the returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport aboard a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg. The development was disclosed by the spokesman for Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in a statement on Wednesday night. The returnees were accompanied by two officials from the Consulate-General of Nigeria in Johannesburg. On arrival, they were received by the Director of the African Affairs Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, on behalf of the Federal Government. The returnees were subsequently handed over to relevant government agencies for documentation and profiling before being reunited with their families. Ebienfa said the repatriation was made possible through flight tickets procured by private individuals who supported the safe return of the Nigerians. He expressed appreciation to the Nigerian Mission in South Africa, the private sponsors and government agencies involved in the reception and reintegration process. The ministry also reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to the welfare and safe return of Nigerians abroad. South Africa has experienced recurring anti-migrant violence for nearly two decades. Recent tensions intensified after vigilante groups reportedly ordered undocumented foreigners to leave the country by June 30. An AFP tally cited by Channels Television indicates that more than 176,000 people have left South Africa in recent weeks following repatriation efforts by several African countries. South African police have reported at least four migrant deaths in the violence, although some foreign governments have put the figure higher. Nigeria has previously raised concerns over attacks on its citizens in South Africa and has pushed for the issue of anti-migrant violence to be discussed by the African Union.
NECA Director-General Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde calls for accountability over ₦10.4 trillion shared with states and local governments from petrol subsidy savings.

NECA asks states to explain how ₦10.4tn subsidy funds were spent

The Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) has urged state and local governments to publicly account for the ₦10.4 trillion they received from resources generated following the removal of the petrol subsidy.   NECA Director-General, Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde, made the call during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday, following disclosures by Finance Minister and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele. Oyedele said the removal of the petrol subsidy mobilised ₦15.8 trillion for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025. According to the minister, the Federal Government received ₦5.4 trillion, while ₦10.4 trillion was distributed to state and local governments through the Federation Account. Oyerinde said the disclosure should prompt state commissioners for finance to explain how much their governments received and how the funds were spent. > “The commissioners of finance in states, you come out and also say, this is how much we’ve received; this is how much we have spent,” he said.   The NECA chief compared the expected disclosure to financial reporting by private businesses, where companies present audited accounts to shareholders. He urged state governments to provide details of the funds received, the challenges encountered and how the money was utilised. Oyerinde also commended the Federal Government for publicly providing details of its finances, saying greater transparency would allow citizens and other stakeholders to scrutinise public spending. He encouraged Nigerians to engage state and local governments on how public resources are being used, stressing that development should begin at the grassroots. How the ₦15.8tn was accounted for Oyedele said the ₦15.8 trillion did not appear as a separate Federation Account credit labelled “subsidy savings”. Rather, it was reflected in the resources available to the three tiers of government. The minister also disclosed that the Federal Government generated ₦3.1 trillion in additional independent revenue during the period, while borrowing amounted to ₦11.9 trillion. Together, the additional revenue and borrowing increased the Federal Government’s resources by ₦20.4 trillion, against incremental expenditure of ₦30.64 trillion, according to Oyedele. President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy on May 29, 2023, shortly after his inauguration. The policy led to a sharp increase in petrol prices and contributed to higher transportation, logistics and production costs. The Federal Government has maintained that the reform was necessary to reduce fiscal pressure and redirect resources towards other priorities.
Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, where PSG’s Ligue 1 opener against Rennes was moved due to poor pitch condition.

PSG-Rennes match moved over poor condition of pitch.

Paris Saint-Germain’s opening Ligue 1 title-defence fixture against Rennes has been moved from the Parc des Princes to Rennes’ Roazhon Park because of concerns over the condition of the pitch.   The French professional football league, LFP, announced the change on Wednesday, saying the state of the Parc des Princes surface meant player safety could not be guaranteed. The match will still be played on Sunday, August 23, with the date and kick-off time unchanged. As a result of the venue switch, PSG will host Rennes at the Parc des Princes when the two sides meet again on the weekend of March 6. The venue change comes days after PSG suffered a 1-0 defeat to Lens in the Champions’ Trophy. Meanwhile, PSG left-back Nuno Mendes has been suspended for three matches following his red card in that defeat. The Portugal international was sent off in the 87th minute for elbowing Lens forward Michal Skoras. Mendes will miss PSG’s Ligue 1 fixtures against Lille and Monaco. Coach Luis Enrique could turn to new signing Lucas Digne, who recently joined from Aston Villa, as his replacement. Lens defender Kyllian Antonio was also handed a two-match suspension after being dismissed for a dangerous tackle during Lens’ victory.

FULL LIST: Burna Boy, Tems earn 2026 MTV VMA nominations

Nigerian Afrobeats stars Burna Boy and Tems have secured nominations at the 2026 MTV Video Music Awards, with Burna Boy receiving two nods and Tems earning one.   Burna Boy, whose real name is Damini Ogulu, is nominated in Best Collaboration alongside Colombian singer Shakira for their FIFA World Cup 2026 official song, “Dai Dai.” The track also earned a nomination in the Best Latin category. Tems, born Temilade Openiyi, is nominated for Best R&B for her collaboration with British rapper Dave on “Raindance.” The nominations were announced on Tuesday ahead of the awards ceremony, scheduled for September 27 at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles. Burna Boy and Shakira will compete for Best Collaboration against Clipse, Kendrick Lamar, Pusha T and Malice; French Montana and Max B; Madonna and Sabrina Carpenter; PinkPantheress and Zara Larsson; and Teyana Taylor and Lucky Daye. In the Best Latin category, “Dai Dai” faces songs by Anitta and Shakira, Bad Bunny, Fuerza Regida, Karol G, Rosalía featuring Yahritza y Su Esencia, and Ryan Castro, Kapo and GANGSTA. Tems’ “Raindance” will compete against releases by Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Kehlani, and Mariah the Scientist and Kali Uchis. Madonna leads the overall nominations with 11, followed by Taylor Swift with nine. Notably, the Best Afrobeats category is absent from this year’s awards. South African singer Tyla won the category in 2025 with “Push 2 Start”, after also winning in 2024 with “Water”. Rema and Selena Gomez won the inaugural Afrobeats award in 2023 for “Calm Down”. The 2026 MTV VMAs will air live on CBS, with a simulcast on MTV and streaming on Paramount+. Fans can vote in most categories daily until September 25 at 6pm ET.

Must Read

Xenophobia: 83 Nigerians arrive Lagos from South Africa

Eighty-three Nigerians have returned to Lagos from South Africa amid renewed xenophobic attacks targeting African migrants.   According Channels Television, the returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport aboard a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg. The development was disclosed by the spokesman for Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in a statement on Wednesday night. The returnees were accompanied by two officials from the Consulate-General of Nigeria in Johannesburg. On arrival, they were received by the Director of the African Affairs Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, on behalf of the Federal Government. The returnees were subsequently handed over to relevant government agencies for documentation and profiling before being reunited with their families. Ebienfa said the repatriation was made possible through flight tickets procured by private individuals who supported the safe return of the Nigerians. He expressed appreciation to the Nigerian Mission in South Africa, the private sponsors and government agencies involved in the reception and reintegration process. The ministry also reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to the welfare and safe return of Nigerians abroad. South Africa has experienced recurring anti-migrant violence for nearly two decades. Recent tensions intensified after vigilante groups reportedly ordered undocumented foreigners to leave the country by June 30. An AFP tally cited by Channels Television indicates that more than 176,000 people have left South Africa in recent weeks following repatriation efforts by several African countries. South African police have reported at least four migrant deaths in the violence, although some foreign governments have put the figure higher. Nigeria has previously raised concerns over attacks on its citizens in South Africa and has pushed for the issue of anti-migrant violence to be discussed by the African Union.
Read more

Xenophobia: 83 Nigerians arrive Lagos from South Africa

Eighty-three Nigerians have returned to Lagos from South Africa amid renewed xenophobic attacks targeting African migrants.   According Channels Television, the returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport aboard a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg. The development was disclosed by the spokesman for Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in a statement on Wednesday night. The returnees were accompanied by two officials from the Consulate-General of Nigeria in Johannesburg. On arrival, they were received by the Director of the African Affairs Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, on behalf of the Federal Government. The returnees were subsequently handed over to relevant government agencies for documentation and profiling before being reunited with their families. Ebienfa said the repatriation was made possible through flight tickets procured by private individuals who supported the safe return of the Nigerians. He expressed appreciation to the Nigerian Mission in South Africa, the private sponsors and government agencies involved in the reception and reintegration process. The ministry also reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to the welfare and safe return of Nigerians abroad. South Africa has experienced recurring anti-migrant violence for nearly two decades. Recent tensions intensified after vigilante groups reportedly ordered undocumented foreigners to leave the country by June 30. An AFP tally cited by Channels Television indicates that more than 176,000 people have left South Africa in recent weeks following repatriation efforts by several African countries. South African police have reported at least four migrant deaths in the violence, although some foreign governments have put the figure higher. Nigeria has previously raised concerns over attacks on its citizens in South Africa and has pushed for the issue of anti-migrant violence to be discussed by the African Union.
NECA Director-General Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde calls for accountability over ₦10.4 trillion shared with states and local governments from petrol subsidy savings.

NECA asks states to explain how ₦10.4tn subsidy funds were spent

The Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) has urged state and local governments to publicly account for the ₦10.4 trillion they received from resources generated following the removal of the petrol subsidy.   NECA Director-General, Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde, made the call during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday, following disclosures by Finance Minister and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele. Oyedele said the removal of the petrol subsidy mobilised ₦15.8 trillion for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025. According to the minister, the Federal Government received ₦5.4 trillion, while ₦10.4 trillion was distributed to state and local governments through the Federation Account. Oyerinde said the disclosure should prompt state commissioners for finance to explain how much their governments received and how the funds were spent. > “The commissioners of finance in states, you come out and also say, this is how much we’ve received; this is how much we have spent,” he said.   The NECA chief compared the expected disclosure to financial reporting by private businesses, where companies present audited accounts to shareholders. He urged state governments to provide details of the funds received, the challenges encountered and how the money was utilised. Oyerinde also commended the Federal Government for publicly providing details of its finances, saying greater transparency would allow citizens and other stakeholders to scrutinise public spending. He encouraged Nigerians to engage state and local governments on how public resources are being used, stressing that development should begin at the grassroots. How the ₦15.8tn was accounted for Oyedele said the ₦15.8 trillion did not appear as a separate Federation Account credit labelled “subsidy savings”. Rather, it was reflected in the resources available to the three tiers of government. The minister also disclosed that the Federal Government generated ₦3.1 trillion in additional independent revenue during the period, while borrowing amounted to ₦11.9 trillion. Together, the additional revenue and borrowing increased the Federal Government’s resources by ₦20.4 trillion, against incremental expenditure of ₦30.64 trillion, according to Oyedele. President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy on May 29, 2023, shortly after his inauguration. The policy led to a sharp increase in petrol prices and contributed to higher transportation, logistics and production costs. The Federal Government has maintained that the reform was necessary to reduce fiscal pressure and redirect resources towards other priorities.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.