/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

FG hikes electricity meters price by 40%, consumers protest

Published on

By

The Federal Government, on Wednesday, announced an increase in the prices of single-phase and three-phase pre-paid electricity meters, and declared that the hike takes effect from September 6, 2023.

It announced this in an order released by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission with number, NERC/2023/020, and jointly signed by the commission’s Chairman, Sanusi Garba, and its Commissioner, Legal, Licencing and Compliance, Dafe Akpeneye.

In the order, the government stated that a single-phase meter would now cost N81,975.16k from the previous price of N58,661.69k, while the price of a three-phase meter was raised to N143,836.10k from N109,684.36k.

This was, however, kicked against by power consumers, who wondered why the Federal Government had continued to hike the cost of various commodities in Nigeria’s energy sector.

But explaining why it hiked the costs of the meters, the NERC said it was to ensure a fair and reasonable pricing of meters to both Meter Asset Providers and end-use customers.

It said the hike would ensure MAP’s ability to recover reasonable costs associated with meter procurement and maintenance, while ensuring that their pricing structure allowed for a viable return on investment.

“Evaluate the affordability of meter services for consumers, aiming to prevent excessive pricing that could burden end-users. Ensure that MAPs are able to provide meters to end-use customers in the prevailing economic realities,” the commission stated.

It said the closure of the metering gap for end-use customers was fundamental to the financial sustainability of the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry as end-use meters provide revenue assurance to both the utility and their end-use customers.

“The Meter Asset Provider scheme is one of the four frameworks in the regulations for the provision of meters to end-use customers in NESI.

“Section 8(1)(c) of the regulations provides that the costs of single-phase and three-phase meters issued by MAPs, inclusive of all other associated costs of installation and warranties shall be at the regulated rates approved by the commission.

“The commission notes that significant changes in macroeconomic indicators, such as inflation and changes in the foreign exchange rates have necessitated a review of the regulated rates for MAP meters,” the NERC stated.

It said the commission also considered relevant data on the significant changes in macroeconomic indicators from the Central Bank of Nigeria and the National Bureau of Statistics as benchmarks for the meter price review.

Meanwhile the commission stated that the costs of single-phase and three-phase meters for MAPs, inclusive of all other associated costs of installation and warranties, shall remain at the regulated rates approved by the NERC.

Read Also:

New electricity tariff, over 40% takes effect from July 1, 2023

It said the approved meter prices were exclusive of Value Added Tax, but noted that they were inclusive of the revised Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency sealing cost.

It stated that the sealing cost for a single-phase meter was N842.80 per unit, while that of a three-phase meter was N1,100.80 per unit.

“All MAPs shall adjust their prices to reflect the approved rates. All MAPs shall supply meters previously paid for by end-use customers prior to the commencement of this order at the prevailing rate when payment was made by the customers without additional increase in cost.

“All Discos and MAPs are to develop/implement customer enlightenment campaigns on the price review along with a schedule on the implementation of their meter rollout plans. All MAPs shall continue to file monthly sales and meter installation returns with the commission,” the industry regulator stated.

Power users opposed the hike in the prices of meters, as they called on the government to consider the plights of Nigerians and reverse the increase.

“They (government) have talking about this since the unification of the foreign exchange rates, but we warned against it due to the plights being faced by Nigerians currently,” the National Secretary, Nigeria Electricity Consumer Advocacy Network, Uket Obonga, stated.

He said the hike was due to pressure from Meter Asset Providers on the government, as some of the MAPs threatened to pull out from the provision of meters if the cost of the equipment remained the same.

He told our correspondent that Nigerian consumers were now grappling with excessive rise the costs of different products in the energy sectors, including the increase in fuel price, diesel price, meter price, etc.

You May Like

One thought on “FG hikes electricity meters price by 40%, consumers protest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Dani Carvajal pictured in Real Madrid colours ahead of his final match at Santiago Bernabeu after the club confirmed his exit.

Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid as club confirms summer exit

Dani Carvajal will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season, ending a decorated spell that saw the veteran defender become one of the club’s most successful players. The Spanish giants confirmed the decision on Monday, saying the 34-year-old will play his final game at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium this weekend when Madrid host Athletic Bilbao in their final home match of the campaign. According to Channels Television, Carvajal departs after making 450 appearances for Madrid and winning 27 trophies, including six UEFA Champions League titles and four La Liga crowns. In a statement, the club described Carvajal as “one of the greatest legends” in its history, while club president Florentino Pérez called him “a symbol of Real Madrid and its academy”. Carvajal came through Madrid’s famed academy system before briefly joining Bayer Leverkusen in 2012. The defender returned to Madrid a year later and became a key figure in one of the club’s most dominant modern eras. His final season has been disrupted by injuries, with Spanish reports suggesting he will miss out on selection for Spain national football team at this summer’s FIFA World Cup. Carvajal’s departure closes a major chapter for Madrid, who are set to finish a second consecutive season without a major trophy.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.