/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Hoodlums kidnap women, children, levy community in Rivers State

Published on

By

Hoodlums suspected to be Creek dwellers reportedly abducted 10 persons, including four children in Isua, Join Karama community in Engenni, Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State.

The women were said to have gone to their farms to harvest their crops to avoid losing them to the looming heavy rainfall and floods.

A source in the LGA, simply identified as Ezuwa, told journalists that the hoodlums came from a nearby community, called Oshobele, after crossing the river.

He stated that the development had left villagers and residents terrified, describing the kidnap as one out of the many security issues confronting the community.

Ezuwa stated, “The women went to their farms to harvest crops because of the looming floods. The boys (abductors) had to cross from the neighbouring Oshobele axis to the farm to kidnap them and their children.

“This is just one out of the many that have been going on in the local government. The people have raised concerns to the local government chairman and the police division in Akinima, but nothing has been done so far.”

He said the latest incident was capable of igniting a communal crisis, “because it is now seen as an Ekpeye and Engenni issue.”

Ezuwa disclosed that the hoodlums had demanded N450,000 from the community which they termed a security vote and was paid by the community last Sunday.

Read Also:

Gunmen kill soldiers, kidnap foreigner, three others in Rivers

He decried the absence of policemen in the community, which he said gave the miscreants the audacity to operate.

While noting that many persons have fled the community, Ezuwa noted, “The few ones at home were asked to pay a form of living allowance, N450,000 or they would kill everybody in the community.

“Out of fear, they paid the money. They then brought new guidelines for each household to pay N1,500 every week which will be remitted to the criminals. And because of fear nobody can even go outside. We can’t really say where they hail from, but they came through Oshobele, kidnapped these people at Isua and crossed back to Oshobele, which is their hideout.”

While calling on the Rivers State Government to ensure the release of the women and their children, he said if not properly handled, it could spark communal crisis between Isua and its neighbour, Oshobele.

The spokesperson for the Rivers State Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, confirmed the incident, saying, “Efforts are on to ensure the release of the women and the children, and as you know the command is not sleeping.

We are after the kidnappers. As we speak the Commissioner of Police has deployed the tactical team to ensure they are arrested and made to face the law for their actions.”

You May Like

2 thoughts on “Hoodlums kidnap women, children, levy community in Rivers State

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.