/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Ministry of women affairs: Anambra State perm sec beats HoD to coma

Published on

By

The Anambra State Government, on Sunday, said it would take necessary action to address the fight and alleged “strangulation” that occured between the Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Welfare, Mrs Chinwe Achugbu and one of the Heads of Department, a female, in the ministry, whose identity had yet to be ascertained.

Achugbu was one of the new permanent secretaries recently appointed by the state governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo.

Our correspondent gathered on Sunday that the fight between the duo reportedly happened on Thursday, August 15, in the office during an argument over a yet-to-be-disclosed matter which led to one of them strangling the other person to a coma.

Although the cause of the fight had not been fully ascertained, reports have it that it took the intervention of some persons around the ministry who separated the two persons before normalcy returned to the ministry.

A reliable source in the ministry, who craved anonymity, disclosed the development to journalists, on Friday, alleging that the permanent secretary inflicted severe injuries on the HOD, to the extent that she was immediately rushed to the Emergency Ward of the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University Teaching Hospital Amaku-Awka, before she was resuscitated.

READ ALSO:

Retired teacher arrested for sexually molesting boys in Anambra

Reporters further gathered that physical assaults had become a recurring act among top staff members in the ministry while subordinates were afraid of reporting the excesses for fear of being victimised.

The source said, “Yes, the incident happened. Everything in that story happened. I was there that day and everything happened before my face. The two of them fought over a yet-to-be-disclosed matter and the PS tried to strangle the HOD, as she held her neck for several minutes.

“It was a very chaotic moment. It took the intervention of other persons around before normalcy returned after the HOD was rushed to the hospital because she fell into a coma.”

Another source and employee in the ministry also confirmed the development, to reporters on the condition of anonymity, saying the matter had not been officially complained to the appropriate quarters because of the status of the personalities involved.

According to him, some top officials in the ministry were trying to sweep the matter under the carpet.

However, when contacted at her office at the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Welfare located at Dora Akunyili Women Development Centre, Awka, for her reactions to the allegations, the Perm. Sec. declined comments, saying that she was forbidden to speak, as a person under authority. She further directed the reporter to “go and ask the Head of Service.”

When also contacted on what steps had been taken to address the development, the Head of Service, Theodora Igwegbe, said she was aware of a reported fight at the ministry through social media but had yet to officially be briefed on what happened.

Igwegbe vowed to take action after an investigation and findings had been concluded on the matter.

“I saw the report on social media on Friday, August 23, 2024. I have not received a formal report against the Permanent Secretary in question as provided by Section 7, Chapter 10 of the Public Service Rules (2021).

“That notwithstanding, I have started asking questions to ascertain what happened while I await a formal report, which should be the beginning of a process. Thank you,” she added.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Welfare, Ify Obinabo, on her part, could not be reached for comments on the development as messages and calls to her telephone line were not responded to.

Section 7 of the Public Service Rules (2021) includes sanctions for erring workers and misconduct, guidelines for worker conduct, penalties for failure to discharge functions by established practice. These penalties aim to ensure that public servants maintain a high standard of conduct and performance in their duties.

You May Like

One thought on “Ministry of women affairs: Anambra State perm sec beats HoD to coma

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Nigerian Army and NSCDC Mining Marshals officials during the handover of 18 suspected illegal miners arrested in Niger State.

Niger: Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.47m

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered N2.47m in cash and mining equipment during an operation in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.   The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation after soldiers discovered alleged unauthorised mining activities at a site in the area. Following the arrests, the Army handed the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for further investigation and prosecution. The NSCDC Mining Marshals Commander, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Army for its cooperation in tackling illegal mining and described the operation as a demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources. Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects were unable to provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750. Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue intelligence-driven enforcement against illegal mining, which authorities have linked to concerns over environmental degradation, revenue losses and the unauthorised exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources. He added that the NSCDC would continue enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and working with security agencies to protect the country’s solid mineral resources. The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and the suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the law.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.