/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Shi’ites, Policemen kill each other, more injured as Abuja procession turns bloody

Published on

By

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, popularly known as Shi’ites, has alleged that the police attacked the peaceful Arba’een symbolic trek in Wuse, Abuja, killing and injuring many of the mourners.

This was as the police, in a quick reaction, also accused the IMN of carrying out an unprovoked attack on its personnel, killing two policemen and critically injuring three others, who are currently in the hospital battling for life.

The Shi’ites, on Sunday, held the Arba’een walk, the ceremonial trek that marks the end of a 40-day mourning period of the death of the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (SAW), Imam Hussain.

The movement, in a statement, signed by Sheikh Sidi Sokoto for the Islamic Movement and the Shi’ites leader, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, said the walk, which was previously held in Masaka and Zuba axis on Saturday, was peaceful and successful.

They added that medical practitioners were currently attending to the injured protesters, adding that details of those killed, injured, and arrested would be made available subsequently.

READ ALSO:

Stories of how over 1,400 protesters are languishing in Police custody

“We wish to inform the public that the police have attacked the ongoing Arba’een symbolic trek at Wuse District in Abuja and killed numerous mourners. While trying to disperse the Arbaeen trek, the police killed and injured numerous mourners.

“Presently, security agents are busy arresting the Arbaeen trek mourners. Medical practitioners are attending to those critically injured, and details of those killed, injured, and arrested will be made available to members of the press in due course.

“Before the commencement of the trek, we had searched all participants to ensure no infiltration, and the programme would end as scheduled. The Arbeen trek that was conducted yesterday at Masaka and Zuba axis ended peacefully and successfully,” the sect said.

However, in a statement by its spokesman, Josephine Adeh, Federal Capital Territory Police Command, accused the Shi’ites of fomenting trouble, killing officers, and vandalising patrol vans.

“The FCT Police Command wishes to confirm an unprovoked attack by the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria, popularly known as the ‘Shi’ite’ group, on some personnel of the Nigeria Police Force attached to the FCT Command at Wuse Junction by the traffic light, where two police personnel were killed, three left unconscious in the hospital, and three police patrol vehicles set ablaze.

“The proscribed organisation attacked the police checkpoint unprovoked, wielding machetes, improvised explosive devices (locally made bombs in bottles with kerosene), and knives,” the police spokesperson said.

Adeh said several members of the group had been arrested, adding that the Commissioner of Police in the FCT, CP Benneth Igweh, “condemns the unprovoked attack on police officers. He promises to bring those involved to book.”

“The situation is presently under control and normalcy has been restored. Further development will be communicated in due courses,” the statement added.

Newsmen reports that Shi’ites and security agencies in the country have a long history of deadly clashes.

Notably in December 2015, a deadly clash between the Shi’ites and the military in Zaria, Kaduna State left hundreds of the sect members dead with their leader, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, his wife, Zeenat, injured and arrested during a reprisal on their enclave by the military.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Ronaldinho holds a Ravenna FC jersey during the Italian club's team presentation in Marina di Ravenna.

Ronaldinho returns at 46, targets 300th career goal

Brazil legend Ronaldinho is set to make a sensational return to football at the age of 46 after joining Italian third-tier club Ravenna FC, 11 years after his last professional appearance.   The former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan star confirmed his return on Thursday during Ravenna’s team presentation in Marina di Ravenna. Ronaldinho retired from professional football in 2015 after playing his final official match for Brazilian side Fluminense. He now hopes to help Ravenna while potentially chasing the 300th goal of his career. “I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” Ronaldinho said, according to AFP. The 2002 World Cup winner also left open the possibility of returning to competitive action. “Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that,” he said. “Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.” Ronaldinho added that he feels fit and would be delighted to score what he considers his 300th career goal. Ravenna president Ignazio Cipriani said Ronaldinho’s involvement was not intended simply as a publicity stunt. The former Brazil international is also expected to become a shareholder in the club. However, Ronaldinho will not feature when Ravenna open their Serie C campaign against Reggiana on Monday. Cipriani said the Brazilian’s main objective was to help the club and potentially score one final goal. Ronaldinho scored 33 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and won the Ballon d’Or in 2005. His decorated club career included spells with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan. Ravenna finished third in Group B of Italy’s third division last season and are targeting promotion to Serie B, where they have not played since 2008. The club’s move for Ronaldinho was announced in June during the World Cup in Miami. Reuters also reported that the 46-year-old had joined Ravenna as both an investor and potential player, although his exact playing role remains undecided.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.