/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Coup: Niger closes airspace as it refuses to reinstate president

Published on

By

Niger closed its airspace on Sunday until further notice, citing the threat of military intervention from the West African regional bloc after coup leaders rejected a deadline to reinstate the country’s ousted president.

Earlier, thousands of junta supporters flocked to a stadium in Niamey, the capital, cheering the decision not to cave in to external pressure to stand down by Sunday following the July 26 power grab.

The coup, the seventh in West and Central Africa in three years, has rocked the Sahel region, one of the poorest in the world. Given its uranium and oil riches and its pivotal role in a war with Islamist militants, Niger holds importance for the U.S., Europe, China and Russia.

Defence chiefs of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) have agreed a possible military action plan, including when and where to strike, if the detained president, Mohamed Bazoum, is not released and reinstated by the deadline.

“In the face of the threat of intervention that is becoming more apparent … Nigerien airspace is closed effective from today,” a junta representative said in a statement on national television on Sunday evening.

He said there had been a pre-deployment of forces in two Central African countries in preparation for an intervention, but did not give details.

Read More:

“Niger’s armed forces and all our defence and security forces, backed by the unfailing support of our people, are ready to defend the integrity of our territory,” he said.

ECOWAS did not respond to a request for comment on what its next steps would be, or when exactly on Sunday its deadline expires. A spokesman earlier said it would issue a statement at the end of the day.

Blasting military tunes and tooting vuvuzela horns, over 100 junta supporters this weekend set up a picket near an air base in Niamey – part of a citizen movement to offer non-violent resistance in support of the junta if needed.

As organisers led chants of “Vive Niger,” much of the emotion appeared directed against ECOWAS as well as former colonial power France, which said on Saturday it would support regional efforts to overturn the coup, without specifying if that included military assistance.

“The Nigerien people have understood that these imperialists want to bring about our demise. And God willing, they will be the ones to suffer for it,” said pensioner Amadou Adamou.

Niger last week revoked military cooperation agreements with France, which has between 1,000 and 1,500 troops in the country.

Sunday’s television broadcasts included a roundtable debate on encouraging solidarity in the face of ECOWAS sanctions, which have led to power cuts and soaring food prices.

The bloc’s military threat has triggered fears of further conflict in a region already battling the deadly Islamist insurgency that has killed thousands and forced millions to flee.

Any military intervention could be complicated by a promise from juntas in neighbouring Mali and Burkina Faso to come to Niger’s defence if needed.

Bazoum’s prime minister, Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou, said on Saturday in Paris that the ousted regime still believed a last-minute agreement was possible.

On Sunday, Italy said it had reduced its troop numbers in Niger to make room in its military base for Italian civilians who may need protection if security deteriorates.

You May Like

One thought on “Coup: Niger closes airspace as it refuses to reinstate president

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DAPPMAN warns over Dangote refinery lawsuit challenging fuel import licences issued by NMDPRA, raising concerns about Nigeria’s downstream fuel supply stability.

DAPPMAN warns as Dangote refinery sues FG over import licences

Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) has raised concerns over a legal action by the Dangote Petroleum Refinery challenging fuel import licences issued to marketers and the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC Limited), warning it could destabilise Nigeria’s downstream petroleum sector, according to reporting by TheCable. The dispute follows a decision by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) on March 25 to ease petrol import restrictions by issuing new import licences to marketers to bridge supply gaps. However, the Dangote Petroleum Refinery later filed a suit at the Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking to void the licences. The refinery argues that the approvals breach a prior court order and violate provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act, which it says allows imports only when domestic supply is insufficient. In response, DAPPMAN said the licences are essential legal instruments that sustain Nigeria’s fuel supply chain and ensure energy security. The association stressed that members had invested heavily in depot infrastructure and logistics based on the validity of the licences. It warned that attempts to retroactively cancel them could introduce uncertainty into the downstream sector and disrupt operations. While acknowledging the refinery’s right to seek legal redress, DAPPMAN maintained that regulatory responsibility to guarantee adequate fuel supply must not be undermined by private commercial interests. The association added that Nigeria’s downstream market depends on multiple participants operating competitively, cautioning that restricting access could ultimately affect consumers. The development highlights rising tensions over fuel import regulation, domestic refining capacity, and market competition in Nigeria’s petroleum sector.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.