/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Nigeria, Italy launch $5bn global education financing campaign

Published on

By

Nigeria and Italy have agreed to establish a joint working group to implement a Global Partnership for Education financing campaign aimed at mobilising $5bn for education worldwide.

 

The initiative, known as the “Multiply Possibility Campaign”, is expected to support learning opportunities for about 750 million children ahead of the Global Education Summit scheduled to hold in Rome in September 2026.

According to a report by Punch Newspapers, Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, disclosed the development during a meeting with the Italian Ambassador to Nigeria, Roberto Mengoni, in Abuja.

A statement issued by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, said the campaign is also projected to unlock an additional $10bn in domestic education financing by 2030.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said education remains a key priority under the administration of Bola Tinubu and described the upcoming summit as significant given Nigeria’s growing youth population.

She noted that the partnership with Italy would help create opportunities for young people while addressing migration concerns through bilateral cooperation.

“We are interested in what we can do to keep our youth within our shores in productive ways,” the minister said.

Earlier, Mengoni stated that discussions also covered preparations for the summit, as well as collaboration in tourism, economic development and defence between both countries.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Recovered sack containing 119 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition displayed by Gombe State Police Command.

Police recover 119 AK-47 ammunition rounds in Gombe

The Nigeria Police Force in Gombe State recovered 119 rounds of 7.62mm AK-47 live ammunition concealed in a sack along Kalshingi Road in Kwadon, Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Area.   According to the report published on Thursday, the recovery followed credible intelligence received by the Divisional Police Officer of Kwadon Division at about 10:30am on May 19, 2026. Police spokesperson DSP Buhari Abdullahi said officers discovered the suspicious white sack hidden under a tree opposite a graveyard along the road. He explained that detectives were immediately deployed to the area after the information was received. Items recovered from the sack included 119 rounds of 7.62mm AK-47 live ammunition, two empty ammunition packets, two bottles containing moringa seeds, and one green bag. Abdullahi stated that security operatives combed nearby bushes and adjoining areas after the discovery, but no suspect had been arrested as of the time of filing the report. The command said investigations and surveillance operations had been intensified to identify and apprehend those linked to the concealed ammunition. The Commissioner of Police, Bello Yahaya, commended residents for providing timely intelligence and urged members of the public to continue supporting security agencies with useful information. The development comes days after the Kano State Police Command arrested a suspected arms dealer and recovered three fabricated AK-47 rifles during an operation in Dala Local Government Area.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.