/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Oyo school abduction worsens as kidnapped teacher is beheaded

Published on

By

A teacher abducted during the attack on a secondary school in Oyo State has been killed, with authorities confirming he was beheaded by suspected bandits while still in captivity.

According to Punch Newspapers, the victim, Michael Oyedokun, was among those kidnapped during the raid on Community High School in Ahoro-Esinle, Oriire Local Government Area on Friday, May 15.

Michael Oyedokun, abducted Oyo teacher killed by bandits after school attack in Oriire
Michael Oyedokun, abducted Oyo teacher killed by bandits after school attack in Oriire

A video allegedly released by the abductors surfaced on Sunday and was seen by Punch on Monday. It showed Oyedokun tied up and forced to speak before being killed, sparking fresh fears over the safety of the other hostages still being held.

The killing has deepened grief across the local community, where residents and families have intensified calls for urgent intervention from security agencies and the state government.

Governor Seyi Makinde, through his Special Adviser on Media, Suleimon Olanrewaju, confirmed the teacher’s death on Monday and said the government would continue efforts to secure the release of the remaining captives.

Olanrewaju said the state was pursuing both military and non-military strategies to resolve the crisis. He added that six suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested, while three more persons of interest were picked up by another security agency.

He also disclosed that members of a joint rescue team, including soldiers, the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, were killed after their convoy reportedly struck improvised explosive devices planted by the abductors.

The government said injured operatives are receiving treatment and pledged to cover all medical expenses.

Punch reported that seven teachers were kidnapped in the attack, alongside the school principal and several students, in an incident that has renewed concern over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo and other areas of Nigeria.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Dani Carvajal pictured in Real Madrid colours ahead of his final match at Santiago Bernabeu after the club confirmed his exit.

Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid as club confirms summer exit

Dani Carvajal will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season, ending a decorated spell that saw the veteran defender become one of the club’s most successful players. The Spanish giants confirmed the decision on Monday, saying the 34-year-old will play his final game at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium this weekend when Madrid host Athletic Bilbao in their final home match of the campaign. According to Channels Television, Carvajal departs after making 450 appearances for Madrid and winning 27 trophies, including six UEFA Champions League titles and four La Liga crowns. In a statement, the club described Carvajal as “one of the greatest legends” in its history, while club president Florentino Pérez called him “a symbol of Real Madrid and its academy”. Carvajal came through Madrid’s famed academy system before briefly joining Bayer Leverkusen in 2012. The defender returned to Madrid a year later and became a key figure in one of the club’s most dominant modern eras. His final season has been disrupted by injuries, with Spanish reports suggesting he will miss out on selection for Spain national football team at this summer’s FIFA World Cup. Carvajal’s departure closes a major chapter for Madrid, who are set to finish a second consecutive season without a major trophy.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.