/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Spanish court orders €55m refund to Shakira in tax case

Published on

By

A Spanish court has ordered a tax refund of more than €55 million to Shakira, overturning a long-running dispute over whether the Colombian singer was a tax resident in Spain in 2011.

According to Channels Television, citing AFP, Spain’s National Audience ruled that tax authorities failed to prove the singer spent the minimum 183 days required in the country that year to be considered a resident for tax purposes. The court said evidence showed she spent only 163 days in Spain in 2011.

The ruling means Spain’s tax agency must return all money paid by the artist in relation to that tax year, including around €24 million in personal income tax, almost €25 million in penalties and additional legal interest. The repayment takes the total refund above €55 million.

Shakira said she welcomed the judgment, saying the court had corrected the record after years of public scrutiny. She accused authorities of leaking details of the case and damaging her reputation during the investigation.

The singer, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, said the legal battle had affected her health and family. She added that the decision brought an end to a narrative she believed had been used to make an example of her.

The case centres on Spanish tax claims linked to the period before she officially moved her tax residence from the Bahamas to Spain. Shakira has consistently maintained that she only established permanent residence in Barcelona at the end of 2014.

The 49-year-old previously reached a separate settlement in 2023 over tax allegations covering 2012 to 2014. She agreed to pay nearly €7.8 million to avoid trial in that case.

Spanish authorities have pursued several high-profile tax cases in recent years, including against football stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Both were convicted of tax evasion but avoided prison under Spanish law for first-time offenders.

Shakira is due to complete her “Women Don’t Cry Anymore” world tour later this year with a concert residency in Madrid starting in September. She recently made headlines after collaborating with Burna Boy on the official anthem for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Ebola response volunteers in protective equipment prepare to recover a suspected Ebola victim in Bunia, DR Congo.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, with 2,325 people confirmed dead as of August 16, 2026.   Government figures show that 4,945 confirmed cases have now been recorded, surpassing the previous national record of 2,299 deaths during the 2018-2020 outbreak. The latest figures come as the United Nations warns that the outbreak is spreading at an unprecedented pace. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher described it as the “fastest-growing on record” and said the virus is now killing about one person every 30 minutes. Outbreak spreads across six provinces The outbreak was first declared on May 15 after emerging in Ituri Province in northeastern DRC. It has since spread to six provinces, raising concerns about further transmission across the region. The current outbreak is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak and is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain. Unlike the Zaire strain responsible for several previous major outbreaks, there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically available for the Bundibugyo strain. Experimental vaccines and treatments are being evaluated. Health authorities are facing major challenges, including delayed diagnosis, weak healthcare infrastructure, insecurity and difficulties tracking people who have come into contact with infected patients. The case fatality ratio has risen sharply, reaching about 46 per cent, according to the latest government figures. Health experts say the increase reflects delays in detecting and treating patients rather than evidence that the virus itself has become more lethal. Second-deadliest Ebola outbreak globally Although the DRC outbreak is now the deadliest in the country’s history, it remains below the scale of the 2014-2016 West African Ebola epidemic. That outbreak killed more than 11,300 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and remains the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded. The current DRC epidemic, however, has reached the 2,000-death mark far more rapidly. It took nearly five months for the West African outbreak to reach 1,000 deaths, while the DRC outbreak crossed 2,000 deaths in less than three months. The World Health Organization has said it hopes to reverse the spread of Ebola in the DRC within three months, but the rapid expansion of the outbreak continues to put pressure on health workers and response teams.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.