/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Tinubu warns media against giving voice to terrorists

Published on

By

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has urged Nigerian journalists to avoid becoming platforms for terrorists and kidnappers, stressing the need for responsible reporting amid the country’s security challenges.

 

Speaking at the inaugural Presidential Press Corps Dinner at the State House in Abuja, Tinubu warned that careless reporting could weaken national security and undermine democratic progress.

According to Channels Television, the President said the media must prioritise national interest over sensationalism and avoid amplifying narratives pushed by criminal groups seeking to destabilise Nigeria.

Tinubu said journalists and public officials share a responsibility to protect the country from division and fear.

He emphasised that while press freedom remains essential to democracy, it must be exercised with responsibility, fairness, and accuracy.

“The media must choose fact over falsehood, substance over sensation and credibility over clickbait,” Tinubu said.

He also warned against misinformation, stating that freedom of expression does not include the right to defame or mislead the public.

The President defended laws such as the Cybercrimes Act, saying they were designed to shield citizens from malicious falsehoods and digital abuse rather than suppress press freedom.

On the economy, Tinubu maintained that his administration’s reforms were beginning to deliver results. He said public revenues were improving, foreign reserves had climbed above $50 billion, and investor confidence was returning.

He also highlighted progress in security operations, noting that military offensives and improved intelligence had led to the neutralisation of thousands of terrorists and criminals, while hostages had been rescued and previously troubled communities recovered.

Also present at the dinner were Oluremi Tinubu, George Akume, Femi Gbajabiamila, and several cabinet ministers.

Information Minister Mohammed Idris also called on journalists to report security issues responsibly, urging the media to avoid headlines that could unintentionally strengthen terrorist propaganda.

The event also honoured notable Nigerians for contributions to national development, including Nyesom Wike, Aliko Dangote, and Tony Elumelu.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.