/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Venezuela earthquake death toll rises to 6,438

Published on

By

The death toll from twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela on June 24 has risen to 6,438, according to the latest official figures released on Monday.

 

The 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes struck near Venezuela’s coast, destroying at least 190 buildings and leaving thousands of people displaced.

According to Channels Television, Parliament Speaker Jorge Rodriguez announced the latest toll, up from the 6,301 deaths reported the previous week. Relatives and rescue teams are still searching for missing people nearly two months after the disaster.

Authorities said about 60,000 homes were affected, including 24,000 that were rendered uninhabitable. Thousands of residents remain in temporary camps amid difficult conditions.

Heavy rain in Caracas over the weekend also damaged some tents housing earthquake victims.

Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government has pledged to provide permanent housing for those affected. So far, 335 homes have been made available out of the 4,000 the government promised by the end of the year.

The disaster has left communities along the affected areas facing a prolonged recovery as rescue and relief operations continue.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, Nollywood actor diagnosed with stage four cancer.

Ogogo diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, family seeks treatment

Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has been diagnosed with stage four cancer, according to his family.   The family disclosed the development in a social media video shared by Kira, one of the actor’s daughters. She said the condition was discovered about three weeks ago and has affected his abdomen. Kira said some medical institutions have told the family that they can no longer administer chemotherapy to the actor. She appealed for recommendations for other possible treatment options, stressing that the family was seeking medical help rather than financial donations. “He has cancer, and it is stage 4. The hospital is saying that they cannot treat him again. They cannot give him chemo anymore,” Kira said. She also acknowledged the support of Senator Solomon Adeola, who represents Ogun West and, according to the family, has been helping to settle the actor’s medical bills. Another daughter, Lima, said Adeola had promised to continue supporting the family financially. Lima appealed to anyone with knowledge of doctors or treatment options that could help her father to come forward. “I cannot watch my daddy die,” she said. The family also disclosed that Ogogo is currently not fit to be flown abroad for treatment, in response to a suggestion by socialite Yhemo Lee. The actor, whose real name is Taiwo Hassan, is a veteran Nollywood performer known for his roles in Yoruba-language films.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.