/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

796 babies buried in septic tank at Catholic-run home for unmarried mothers

Published on

By

Irish authorities have begun excavation at a site in Tuam, County Galway, which is thought to contain the remains of around 800 babies who died in a Catholic-run institution for unmarried mothers.

According to Sky News on Tuesday, an order of Catholic nuns maintained the site, which was previously home to the Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home, from 1925 to 1961.

The clinic served unmarried pregnant women, many of whom had been raped or sexually abused and were compelled to give up their babies after birth.

Catherine Corless, a local historian who brought the subject to national notice in 2014, unearthed 798 child death certificates but only one burial record.

Her investigation provoked considerable indignation and spurred the government to launch an inquiry into Ireland’s institutional care system for women and children.

Preliminary results revealed that the bones of many of the children, some as young as 35 weeks in the pregnancy, were placed in what was once a septic tank on the property, which is now surrounded by a new apartment complex.

Corless told Sky News that the structure, known as “the pit”, may contain the remains of 796 babies, the majority of whom were never properly buried.

The excavation, which began this week, is part of an effort to identify the remains and provide them proper interment. The process is estimated to take up to two years.

“I don’t care if it’s a thimbleful, as they tell me there wouldn’t be much remains left; at six months old, it’s mainly cartilage more than bone,” Annette McKay, whose sister is believed to be one of the 798 victims, told Sky News.

Annette McKay, whose sister is believed to be among the deceased, described how her mother, Margaret O’Connor, learnt of her baby’s death.

Her mother, Margaret “Maggie” O’Connor, gave birth to a kid, Mary Margaret, at home after being raped at the age of 17.

The girl died six months later, and her mother only found out when a nun informed her.

“She was pegging out washing, and a nun came up behind her and said, ‘The child of your sin is dead,’” said Annette, who now lives in the UK.

The Bon Secours facility was part of a larger system of state-approved facilities throughout Ireland where pregnant women were imprisoned, forced into unpaid labour, and separated from their babies.

Women who fell pregnant again were frequently transported to Magdalene Laundries, notorious religious facilities for “fallen women”.

Initially, the term “fallen women” referred mostly to sex workers, but the Magdalene laundries subsequently began accepting “seduced” women, victims of rape and incest, and female orphans or infants abandoned or abused by their family.

The last Magdalene laundries closed their doors in the 1990s.

A 2021 state investigation found that around 9,000 children died in 18 similar homes, primarily from avoidable ailments such as gastroenteritis and respiratory infections.

In 2014, the Irish government formally apologised to survivors. It established a compensation plan in 2022, and it has already paid out over $32 million to over 800 people.

You May Like

6 thoughts on “796 babies buried in septic tank at Catholic-run home for unmarried mothers

  1. В джунглях игр, где любой площадка пытается зацепить обещаниями быстрых джекпотов, рейтинг честных онлайн казино
    является той самой ориентиром, что направляет через заросли подвохов. Для хайроллеров да новичков, кто устал от фальшивых посулов, это средство, дабы ощутить настоящую выплату, будто вес золотой ставки в пальцах. Минус лишней болтовни, лишь надёжные площадки, там выигрыш не только цифра, а ощутимая удача.Собрано на основе гугловых запросов, как паутина, которая ловит топовые горячие тенденции на рунете. Здесь нет пространства про шаблонных фишек, каждый момент как карта у игре, где подвох раскрывается немедленно. Хайроллеры понимают: по рунете стиль разговора с сарказмом, там сарказм скрывается как рекомендацию, даёт миновать рисков.В https://dev.to/diana_tzaregorodceva_4f24/top-onlain-kazino-na-dienghi-s-vyvodom-2026-bystryie-vyplaty-1d80 данный список лежит словно готовая колода, подготовленный к раздаче. Посмотри, коли хочешь увидеть пульс подлинной игры, без иллюзий да разочарований. Тем тех ценит тактильность приза, такое словно взять карты у пальцах, минуя пялиться в экран.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.