/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

El-Rufai security breach trial takes new twist as NSA confirms call

Published on

By

The trial of former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai over alleged treason and breach of national security resumed on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with a prosecution witness claiming that the National Security Adviser confirmed the authenticity of a conversation referenced by the defendant.

According to proceedings reported by Channels Television, prosecutors played a 43-minute television interview in which El-Rufai allegedly stated that a private conversation involving the National Security Adviser had been wiretapped and forwarded to him.

The witness told the court that investigators later interviewed Nuhu Ribadu, who verbally confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai took place between him and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

The witness added that the ICPC chairman also confirmed having the conversation after investigators played excerpts from the interview.

During the broadcast, El-Rufai was said to have defended the alleged interception, arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

The prosecution also presented statements from television anchor Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana. The court admitted the statements as exhibits without objection from the defence.

According to the witness, Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and sent it to him. Agalayana, however, reportedly told investigators he only handled technical setup during the interview and did not pay attention to the discussion.

The prosecution argued that El-Rufai made what investigators described as an “open confession” regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation. A preliminary investigation report was also admitted as evidence.

Under cross-examination, defence counsel Paul Erokoro questioned the absence of forensic analysis, device examination or IP tracing linked to the alleged interception.

The prosecution witness acknowledged that investigators did not examine the NSA’s communication devices or conduct forensic checks, but insisted those measures became unnecessary after the NSA allegedly confirmed the conversation’s authenticity.

The witness also admitted that El-Rufai never claimed he personally carried out the interception. However, he maintained that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and shared with him.

When asked whether El-Rufai could have been exaggerating during a politically charged interview, the witness replied that he regarded the former governor “a person of integrity” and believed his statements were genuine.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned the case until June 22 and 23 for further hearing.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.