/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Ebola cases surge in Congo as death toll hits 131

Published on

By

The death toll from the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 131, with authorities also recording 513 suspected cases across affected communities.

 

According to a report by TheCable, Congo’s health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, disclosed the figures during an update on Monday on the spread of the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus in Ituri province.

Kamba said not all the reported deaths had been confirmed as Ebola-related, noting that investigations were ongoing to establish the exact cause of death in several cases.

He revealed that six locations, including Mongbwalu and Rwampara, had been officially classified as outbreak zones. Bunia and Nyankunde in Ituri province, alongside Butembo-Katwa and Goma in North Kivu province, have also recorded infections.

The health minister blamed the delayed response on local misconceptions about the disease.

“The alert was delayed in the community because there was a belief that it was a mystical disease, and this caused the disease to spread,” he said.

In neighbouring Uganda, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed two Ebola cases and one death in Kampala, raising fears of wider regional transmission.

The Congolese ministry of health formally declared the outbreak on May 15, making it the country’s 17th Ebola outbreak since 1976.

Authorities said genomic sequencing identified the virus as the Bundibugyo variant, a strain different from those recorded in previous outbreaks in 2007 and 2012. Researchers at the National Institute of Biomedical Research said the strain originated from an animal reservoir.

Health officials also warned that there is currently no approved vaccine or targeted treatment for the Bundibugyo variant.

The World Health Organization recently declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, while Africa CDC announced its first continental public health emergency for Ebola and pledged $2 million to support response efforts.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention said it is closely monitoring developments in both DR Congo and Uganda.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.