/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

El-Rufai security breach trial takes new twist as NSA confirms call

Published on

By

The trial of former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai over alleged treason and breach of national security resumed on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with a prosecution witness claiming that the National Security Adviser confirmed the authenticity of a conversation referenced by the defendant.

According to proceedings reported by Channels Television, prosecutors played a 43-minute television interview in which El-Rufai allegedly stated that a private conversation involving the National Security Adviser had been wiretapped and forwarded to him.

The witness told the court that investigators later interviewed Nuhu Ribadu, who verbally confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai took place between him and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

The witness added that the ICPC chairman also confirmed having the conversation after investigators played excerpts from the interview.

During the broadcast, El-Rufai was said to have defended the alleged interception, arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.

The prosecution also presented statements from television anchor Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana. The court admitted the statements as exhibits without objection from the defence.

According to the witness, Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and sent it to him. Agalayana, however, reportedly told investigators he only handled technical setup during the interview and did not pay attention to the discussion.

The prosecution argued that El-Rufai made what investigators described as an “open confession” regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation. A preliminary investigation report was also admitted as evidence.

Under cross-examination, defence counsel Paul Erokoro questioned the absence of forensic analysis, device examination or IP tracing linked to the alleged interception.

The prosecution witness acknowledged that investigators did not examine the NSA’s communication devices or conduct forensic checks, but insisted those measures became unnecessary after the NSA allegedly confirmed the conversation’s authenticity.

The witness also admitted that El-Rufai never claimed he personally carried out the interception. However, he maintained that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and shared with him.

When asked whether El-Rufai could have been exaggerating during a politically charged interview, the witness replied that he regarded the former governor “a person of integrity” and believed his statements were genuine.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned the case until June 22 and 23 for further hearing.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.