/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

How Shettima was accused of plotting to kill Tinubu

Published on

By

Vice President Kashim Shettima has disclosed that some individuals from his home state of Borno accused him of plotting to kill President Bola Tinubu through traditional clothes he gifted him during the 2023 election campaign.

 

Speaking in Abuja on Tuesday, Shettima said the allegation emerged just three months after Tinubu took office. He made the revelation during the public presentation of My Life of Duty and Allegiance, the autobiography of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon, according to Channels Television.

Shettima explained that during the campaign for Tinubu’s presidential ambition, he provided him with Borno-style traditional outfits and caps to help him connect with northern voters.

He said the outfits became popular among Tinubu’s team, prompting requests for more. However, shortly after the inauguration, some Borno figures allegedly approached the President with claims that the garments had been spiritually manipulated to harm him and clear the path for Shettima to take over.

According to Shettima, Tinubu later summoned him after his official trip to China and recounted the accusations. The President reportedly dismissed the claims, noting that the clothes were given when both men were still aspirants and not yet elected into office.

To show he rejected the allegation, Shettima said Tinubu deliberately wore the same Borno outfits for an entire week.

The Vice President said the incident reflected a troubling rise in suspicion within Nigeria’s political circles.

He contrasted the episode with an earlier story shared by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, who recalled how his family regularly sent gallons of fura to Gowon during his leadership without raising any concerns about trust or motives.

Shettima said such stories showed how political relationships in Nigeria were once built on confidence, unlike today’s atmosphere where mistrust can quickly create damaging narratives.

He also praised Gowon’s legacy, citing the creation of the National Youth Service Corps as one of the enduring symbols of national unity under his leadership.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.