/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

How Shettima was accused of plotting to kill Tinubu

Published on

By

Vice President Kashim Shettima has disclosed that some individuals from his home state of Borno accused him of plotting to kill President Bola Tinubu through traditional clothes he gifted him during the 2023 election campaign.

 

Speaking in Abuja on Tuesday, Shettima said the allegation emerged just three months after Tinubu took office. He made the revelation during the public presentation of My Life of Duty and Allegiance, the autobiography of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon, according to Channels Television.

Shettima explained that during the campaign for Tinubu’s presidential ambition, he provided him with Borno-style traditional outfits and caps to help him connect with northern voters.

He said the outfits became popular among Tinubu’s team, prompting requests for more. However, shortly after the inauguration, some Borno figures allegedly approached the President with claims that the garments had been spiritually manipulated to harm him and clear the path for Shettima to take over.

According to Shettima, Tinubu later summoned him after his official trip to China and recounted the accusations. The President reportedly dismissed the claims, noting that the clothes were given when both men were still aspirants and not yet elected into office.

To show he rejected the allegation, Shettima said Tinubu deliberately wore the same Borno outfits for an entire week.

The Vice President said the incident reflected a troubling rise in suspicion within Nigeria’s political circles.

He contrasted the episode with an earlier story shared by the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, who recalled how his family regularly sent gallons of fura to Gowon during his leadership without raising any concerns about trust or motives.

Shettima said such stories showed how political relationships in Nigeria were once built on confidence, unlike today’s atmosphere where mistrust can quickly create damaging narratives.

He also praised Gowon’s legacy, citing the creation of the National Youth Service Corps as one of the enduring symbols of national unity under his leadership.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.