/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Tinubu working to secure release of abducted Oyo pupils, Says Abiodun

Published on

By

Governor Dapo Abiodun has said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is working relentlessly to secure the release of schoolchildren and other victims abducted by bandits in recent attacks across Nigeria.

 

Speaking at the 2026 Ojude Oba Festival in Ijebu-Ode on Friday, Abiodun expressed sympathy for victims of insecurity and urged Nigerians to pray for those affected by bandit attacks and kidnappings nationwide.

According to Channels Television, the Ogun governor specifically referenced the recent abduction of pupils and teachers in Oyo State, assuring affected families that the Federal Government was making every effort to bring the victims home safely.

“Our hearts, our thoughts and our prayers are with all of you, particularly those affected by the incident that happened days ago in Ogbomoso,” Abiodun said. He added that Tinubu was “working assiduously” to ensure the safe return of the abducted children.

The governor’s comments come amid heightened concerns over attacks on schools in both Oyo and Borno states.

School Attack Sparks Concern

On May 15, armed bandits reportedly invaded communities in Oriire Local Government Area near Ogbomoso, abducting pupils and teachers and killing a teacher.

At Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, gunmen kidnapped a principal, several teachers and dozens of pupils. One teacher was killed during the attack, while reports later indicated that another abducted teacher was also murdered by the kidnappers.

The incident triggered protests in Ogbomoso, where teachers suspended classes and staged a peaceful march to the office of the Oyo State Teaching Service Commission, demanding urgent action to secure the release of those still in captivity.

On the same day, suspected bandits also abducted pupils from schools in Askira-Uba Local Government Area, further raising concerns about the safety of educational institutions.

The Nigeria Union of Teachers condemned the attacks as “barbaric and inhuman”, warning that continued assaults on schools could force teachers to withdraw their services nationwide. The union said the incidents had created fear and emotional trauma among teachers, pupils, parents and communities.

Tinubu Reassures Victims

In his Children’s Day message, Tinubu addressed the abducted pupils and teachers in Oyo and Borno states, assuring them that they had not been forgotten.

The President said security agencies had been directed to intensify rescue operations and bring those responsible to justice. He also disclosed that the Federal Ministry of Education and state governments would strengthen implementation of the Safe Schools framework to improve emergency preparedness in vulnerable communities.

Tinubu further reiterated his support for state police, urging the National Assembly to accelerate legislative action on the proposal as part of broader efforts to improve security across the country.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.