/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Court awards widow N200m over police killing of truck driver

Published on

By

The Federal High Court in Abuja has awarded N200 million in damages to the widow of truck driver Kabiru Babai, who was unlawfully killed by a police sergeant in Osun State in 2021.

 

Justice Peter Lifu ruled that Babai’s killing violated his fundamental right to life under Section 33(1) of Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution and Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

The court also ordered the Inspector-General of Police and the Osun State Commissioner of Police to immediately begin prosecution of Sergeant Moses Samuel, the officer accused of carrying out the fatal shooting.

According to court documents, Babai was repairing a broken-down truck at Ota-Efun in Osogbo on December 3, 2021, when police officers approached the vehicle and confronted those present.

During the incident, one officer allegedly shot the co-driver in the hand. Babai reportedly came out from beneath the truck to question the shooting, after which he was allegedly beaten with a shovel, struck with the butt of a rifle and shot in the chest by Sergeant Samuel. He died at the scene.

Babai’s widow, Balkisu, filed the suit against the Police Service Commission, the Inspector-General of Police, the Osun State Commissioner of Police, Sergeant Samuel and the Attorney-General of the Federation. She had sought a declaration that her husband’s killing was unlawful, an order for the officer’s prosecution and N2 billion in compensation.

In his judgment, Justice Lifu held that the applicant successfully proved that Babai’s constitutional right to life had been unlawfully violated.

The court awarded N200 million as compensatory and exemplary damages against the IGP, the Osun State Commissioner of Police and Sergeant Samuel for the unlawful killing and the trauma caused to the deceased’s family.

However, the court declined the request to compel the Attorney-General of the Federation to initiate criminal proceedings against the police sergeant.

The case followed claims that although police authorities had earlier indicted Sergeant Samuel, he had not been prosecuted before the suit was filed in August 2022.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.