/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Six killed in Somalia bus explosion, 12 injured

Published on

By

At least six people were killed in an explosion targeting a passenger bus travelling in a region outside Somalia’s capital on Wednesday, the state news agency said.

Somali News Agency, citing Mohamed Ibrahim, governor of Lower Shabelle region, said the attack happened on a road between Qoryoley and Marka districts and that another 12 people had been injured.

Read More: Gas explosion injures four in Lagos

Ibrahim said a terrorist attack had caused the explosion, the news agency said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Ibrahim did not say which group was suspected to have carried out the attack. Al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab has in the past taken responsibility for similar attacks.

The group has been fighting since 2006 to topple Somalia’s central government and establish its own rule based on a strict interpretation of Islamic Sharia law.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Six killed in Somalia bus explosion, 12 injured

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DAPPMAN warns over Dangote refinery lawsuit challenging fuel import licences issued by NMDPRA, raising concerns about Nigeria’s downstream fuel supply stability.

DAPPMAN warns as Dangote refinery sues FG over import licences

Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) has raised concerns over a legal action by the Dangote Petroleum Refinery challenging fuel import licences issued to marketers and the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC Limited), warning it could destabilise Nigeria’s downstream petroleum sector, according to reporting by TheCable. The dispute follows a decision by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) on March 25 to ease petrol import restrictions by issuing new import licences to marketers to bridge supply gaps. However, the Dangote Petroleum Refinery later filed a suit at the Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking to void the licences. The refinery argues that the approvals breach a prior court order and violate provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act, which it says allows imports only when domestic supply is insufficient. In response, DAPPMAN said the licences are essential legal instruments that sustain Nigeria’s fuel supply chain and ensure energy security. The association stressed that members had invested heavily in depot infrastructure and logistics based on the validity of the licences. It warned that attempts to retroactively cancel them could introduce uncertainty into the downstream sector and disrupt operations. While acknowledging the refinery’s right to seek legal redress, DAPPMAN maintained that regulatory responsibility to guarantee adequate fuel supply must not be undermined by private commercial interests. The association added that Nigeria’s downstream market depends on multiple participants operating competitively, cautioning that restricting access could ultimately affect consumers. The development highlights rising tensions over fuel import regulation, domestic refining capacity, and market competition in Nigeria’s petroleum sector.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.