/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Ethiopian military pushes back militiamen in two major Amhara towns

Published on

By

Ehiopia’s military has pushed local militiamen out of two major towns in the Amhara region, residents said on Wednesday, in its first major battlefield breakthroughs since fighting erupted last week.

The Ethiopian National Defence Force (ENDF) gained control on Tuesday of the centre of Gondar, Amhara’s second-biggest city, and entered the holy town of Lalibela on Wednesday after militiamen left, the residents said.

Ethiopian Airlines (ETHA.UL), meanwhile, announced that flights to Gondar and Amhara’s capital, Bahir Dar – where fighting has also occurred – would resume on Thursday.

Read More: Cook-a-thon: Chef Dammy begs for money to hire military bodyguards

Gondar and Lalibela were among the towns where the Fano militia overran the ENDF last week in Ethiopia’s most serious security crisis since a two-year civil war in the northern Tigray region ended last November.

The part-time militia draws volunteers from the local Amhara population. It was an ally of the ENDF during the Tigray war but the relationship later deteriorated over accusations the federal government was trying to weaken Amhara’s defences against neighbouring regions, which the government denies.

The government of Ethiopia, Africa’s second most populous country and one of its biggest economies, declared a state of emergency on Friday and rushed soldiers to the frontlines.

Spokespeople for the government and military did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

A Fano militiaman from Gondar told Reuters that the ENDF, backed by anti-riot police and pro-government militiamen, had pushed the Fano fighters out of the city on Tuesday.

“It was intense fighting. ENDF was using tanks. Our fighters were just using Kalashnikovs,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity for security reasons.

A local official in Gondar said the military was “almost in full control of the city”. Another Gondar resident said he had seen the military enter the city centre on Tuesday afternoon.

Two Lalibela residents told Reuters that ENDF troops entered the town on Wednesday morning following intense fighting on Lalibela’s outskirts the previous day.

Two residents in Bahir Dar said calm had returned on Wednesday after several days of fighting.

Amhara’s regional administration posted a statement on its Facebook page late on Tuesday saying Gondar and the regional capital Bahir Dar had been “freed” from Fano, but the statement was no longer there on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the regional administration did not respond to a request for comment.

Little information has filtered out of Amhara about the human toll of the fighting so far, but Lalibela residents told Reuters on Tuesday that more than a dozen combatants had been killed over the previous days.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Ethiopian military pushes back militiamen in two major Amhara towns

  1. You actually said it wonderfully.
    casino en ligne
    Regards. Great information.
    casino en ligne
    You have made your point extremely clearly!.
    meilleur casino en ligne
    You expressed that terrifically.
    casino en ligne fiable
    Nicely put. Thanks!
    meilleur casino en ligne
    Incredible many of useful info.
    casino en ligne fiable
    Thanks a lot! A lot of knowledge.
    casino en ligne francais
    Kudos, I enjoy it!
    casino en ligne fiable
    Fantastic material, Appreciate it!
    casino en ligne
    Thanks a lot. I value it!
    casino en ligne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DAPPMAN warns over Dangote refinery lawsuit challenging fuel import licences issued by NMDPRA, raising concerns about Nigeria’s downstream fuel supply stability.

DAPPMAN warns as Dangote refinery sues FG over import licences

Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) has raised concerns over a legal action by the Dangote Petroleum Refinery challenging fuel import licences issued to marketers and the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC Limited), warning it could destabilise Nigeria’s downstream petroleum sector, according to reporting by TheCable. The dispute follows a decision by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) on March 25 to ease petrol import restrictions by issuing new import licences to marketers to bridge supply gaps. However, the Dangote Petroleum Refinery later filed a suit at the Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking to void the licences. The refinery argues that the approvals breach a prior court order and violate provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act, which it says allows imports only when domestic supply is insufficient. In response, DAPPMAN said the licences are essential legal instruments that sustain Nigeria’s fuel supply chain and ensure energy security. The association stressed that members had invested heavily in depot infrastructure and logistics based on the validity of the licences. It warned that attempts to retroactively cancel them could introduce uncertainty into the downstream sector and disrupt operations. While acknowledging the refinery’s right to seek legal redress, DAPPMAN maintained that regulatory responsibility to guarantee adequate fuel supply must not be undermined by private commercial interests. The association added that Nigeria’s downstream market depends on multiple participants operating competitively, cautioning that restricting access could ultimately affect consumers. The development highlights rising tensions over fuel import regulation, domestic refining capacity, and market competition in Nigeria’s petroleum sector.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.