/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Mbah’s election victory

Published on

By

The Enugu State Governorship Election Tribunal has upheld the election of Governor Peter Mbah of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP in the March 18, governorship election in the state.

The tribunal chaired by Justice Kudirat Murayo Akano also struck out Edeoga/Labour Party’s allegations of over-voting and bypassing of BVAS in the election.

The court ruled that Mbah was duly elected as governor by the majority of lawful and valid votes cast at the election.

The tribunal had earlier dismissed the allegation of Edeoga/LP that Governor Peter Mbah’s NYSC discharge certificate was forged.

It held that Mbah did not submit his NYSC certificate to INEC to support his qualification to contest for the office of governor, since he was already qualified without an NYSC certificate.

The tribunal further rejected Edeoga’s witnesses and ruled that the LP governorship candidate did not present any admissible evidence to prove that Mbah’s certificate was forged.

Read Also:

Bayelsa: Tribunal sacks PDP Rep Agbedi, orders rerun

Earlier, the tribunal also dismissed the petition of Chris Agu of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) against Mbah over a forged National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate, non-qualification, and corruption against the governor.

The tribunal ruled that the petitioner failed to provide evidence to support their claim that a forged NYSC certificate was submitted to the INEC, adding that the issue is not contained in their affidavit.

It also held that to prove the issue of forgery, the petitioner must provide the original certificate and the forged one, adding that the panel also resolved the issue that Mbah was not elected by a majority of votes cast against the petitioner.

The panel averred that witnesses called by the petitioners could not specify the polling units where the elections did not hold nor the results of same.

It further held that the petitioner failed to prove that the Mbah did not possess the minimum requirement to stand for election which is a school certificate or its equivalent, saying that there was no evidence to support the claim that Mbah was not qualified to stand for the election.

On the issue of the plea bargain by Mbah, the tribunal averred that the exhibits presented by the petitioners did not show any plea bargain by the respondent.

The court said there was evidence presented by Mbah to the effect that he was acquitted of the charges.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.