/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

APC overturns disqualification of Kwara assembly aspirants

Published on

By

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has reversed the mass disqualification of aspirants seeking tickets for the Kwara State House of Assembly ahead of the 2027 general elections, clearing all 159 contenders in a dramatic turnaround.

 

According to a report by Punch Newspapers, the party initially disqualified 105 out of 158 aspirants after a screening exercise conducted on May 11, 2026, leaving only 53 cleared to contest.

However, a revised screening document obtained in Ilorin showed that all aspirants across the state’s 24 constituencies have now been cleared to proceed in the race.

The updated list also increased the number of aspirants from 158 to 159 following the inclusion of the Speaker of the House, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, who was absent from the original list.

The earlier outcome had sparked tension within APC ranks, particularly among serving lawmakers seeking second and third terms in office.

Some of the lawmakers initially listed as “uncleared” included Ganiyu Folabi Salahu, Owolabi Olatunde Rasaq, Bamigboye Joseph, Omotosho Olakunle Rasaq and Yusuf Abdulwaheed Gbenga.

Also affected in the initial screening was Issa Gideon, who is currently under suspension by the House over alleged misconduct.

The revised clearance is being seen as a significant political shift within the ruling party in Kwara State.

Danladi-Salihu, regarded as a major political figure in the state, had reportedly been considered a governorship hopeful before stepping back after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq allegedly backed Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor for the 2027 governorship race.

Speaking during the screening exercise, committee chairman Success Musa said the large number of aspirants reflected the APC’s growing popularity in the state.

He said, “I learnt we have 158 aspirants for the House of Assembly alone. That is democracy. That is what APC represents.”

The latest development has intensified political discussions within APC structures across Kwara as stakeholders react to the sudden reversal of the earlier disqualifications.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.