/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Chinese tankers leave Strait of Hormuz with 4m barrels amid oil supply fears

Published on

By

Two Chinese supertankers carrying about four million barrels of Middle East crude oil have exited the Strait of Hormuz after being delayed in the Gulf for more than two months, according to Reuters, citing shipping data from LSEG and Kpler.

 

The vessels, identified as the Chinese-flagged Yuan Gui Yang and Hong Kong-flagged Ocean Lily, are among a small number of tankers that have recently managed to leave the Gulf through a transit route reportedly ordered by Iran.

The Yuan Gui Yang loaded two million barrels of Iraqi Basrah crude on February 27, one day before the outbreak of the US-Israeli conflict involving Iran, Reuters reported. The tanker, chartered by Unipec, the trading arm of Sinopec, is expected to arrive at Shuidong Port in Guangdong province on June 4.

The Ocean Lily, owned by Chinese energy giant Sinochem loaded one million barrels each of Qatari al-Shaheen and Iraqi Basrah crude between late February and early March. It is expected to discharge its cargo at Quanzhou Port in Fujian province on June 5.

Reuters said another tanker, Yuan Hua Hu, had also exited the strait last week carrying two million barrels of Iraqi oil bound for eastern China.

The latest movements come amid continuing tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic shipping route that handles a major share of global oil exports. Tanker traffic through the passage has fallen sharply since the conflict began, with shipping companies facing risks linked to military activity, mines and drone threats.

Oil prices eased slightly following reports of the successful tanker crossings, raising cautious hopes that some crude exports may resume despite ongoing regional instability.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.