/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Argentina survive Cape Verde scare to reach World Cup last 16

Published on

By

Argentina national football team survived a major scare from Cape Verde national football team to secure a dramatic 3-2 extra-time victory and book a place in the last 16 of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

 

In a gripping round of 32 clash in Miami, Lionel Messi once again delivered on the big stage, scoring his 20th World Cup goal to give Argentina the lead in the 29th minute. His sublime finish, also his seventh goal of the tournament, looked set to send the reigning champions into the next round comfortably.

However, Cape Verde refused to back down. The tournament debutants, who have won admirers with their fearless performances, drew level in the second half through Deroy Duarte, stunning Argentina and pushing the match into extra time.

Argentina regained control early in extra time when Lisandro Martinez fired home after a corner. But Cape Verde responded again, with Sidny Lopes Cabral producing one of the goals of the tournament as he smashed a stunning strike into the top corner to make it 2-2.

With penalties looming, Argentina finally found the breakthrough from a set-piece. Cristian Romero rose highest to meet Messi’s corner, with the ball deflecting off Cape Verde defender Diney Borges for an unfortunate own goal that sealed Argentina’s passage.

The victory sends Argentina into a last-16 showdown with Egypt national football team in Atlanta on Tuesday.

Speaking after the match, Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni admitted his side were pushed to the limit.

“It would have been madness to lose. It was a very tough match. We have to congratulate our opponents because they proved there are no easy teams at this level,” he said.

Cape Verde, making their first-ever World Cup appearance, bow out with heads held high after an inspiring campaign. The Blue Sharks had already impressed in the group stage by holding Spain, Uruguay and Saudi Arabia to draws, and they nearly produced one of the biggest upsets in tournament history.

Messi, playing in Miami where he also stars for Inter Miami, was central to Argentina’s attack throughout. The 39-year-old extended his remarkable record of scoring in eight consecutive World Cup matches.

According to Channels Television, via AFP, Argentina ultimately survived a fierce late Cape Verde assault, with goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez making a crucial save in the closing moments to preserve the win.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.