/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Blog

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Flooded street in Nigeria after heavy rainfall as NiMet issues flash flood warning across 19 states.

May 8, 2026

The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has warned that 19 states across Nigeria could experience flash flooding as heavy early rains intensify, prompting collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)...

Trending

Nigerian Army and NSCDC Mining Marshals officials during the handover of 18 suspected illegal miners arrested in Niger State.

Niger: Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.47m

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered N2.47m in cash and mining equipment during an operation in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.   The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation after soldiers discovered alleged unauthorised mining activities at a site in the area. Following the arrests, the Army handed the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for further investigation and prosecution. The NSCDC Mining Marshals Commander, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Army for its cooperation in tackling illegal mining and described the operation as a demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources. Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects were unable to provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750. Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue intelligence-driven enforcement against illegal mining, which authorities have linked to concerns over environmental degradation, revenue losses and the unauthorised exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources. He added that the NSCDC would continue enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and working with security agencies to protect the country’s solid mineral resources. The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and the suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the law.
NDLEA officials and seized items linked to the arrest of alleged cocaine trafficking suspect KC Luxury.

NDLEA arrests alleged cocaine baron fleeing to Paris

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it has dismantled an international cocaine trafficking network allegedly using Nigeria as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for the UK, Europe and Asia.   According to Punch, the agency arrested Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known as KC Luxury, whom it described as the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of the syndicate. NDLEA Chairman, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), disclosed the development while addressing journalists in Lagos on Tuesday. The agency said the investigation followed the interception of 184.50kg of cocaine concealed in a consignment being processed through a courier logistics company in Lagos. NDLEA said the seizure was the largest quantity of cocaine it had intercepted through a courier company in Nigeria. Marwa said the cartel allegedly expected to make as much as N39bn from the consignment through its international distribution network. The investigation reportedly led to the arrest of two key suspects, including Lawal Mujab Kehinde, a staff member of the logistics company allegedly involved in processing and routing consignments. The NDLEA said investigations identified KC Luxury as the alleged Nigerian coordinator of the network. According to the agency, he presented himself publicly as a luxury goods dealer and social media influencer while allegedly using the image to conceal drug trafficking activities. The suspect was arrested on August 13, 2026, at the boarding gate of Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, after intelligence indicated that he planned to leave Nigeria on a business-class flight to Paris. NDLEA said he was found with €7,750, £2,800 and N100,000, alongside expensive jewellery. A subsequent search of his luxury apartment on Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, reportedly led to the recovery of exotic vehicles. The agency also said the cartel allegedly used false identities to conceal consignors and relied on financial facilitators to move billions of naira. Marwa said some suspected members of the network had also been arrested by authorities in the United Kingdom, describing the arrests in Nigeria and Britain as part of international cooperation against the syndicate. The NDLEA chairman said the latest investigation showed that traffickers were increasingly turning to courier and logistics companies as scrutiny at seaports and airports intensified. He warned that individuals allegedly using luxury lifestyles and social media personas to conceal drug trafficking would be pursued by the agency.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Meta logo as the company faces a US federal trial over alleged harm to children on Facebook and Instagram.

Meta faces $200bn trial over alleged child addiction

US prosecutors have accused Meta of deliberately designing Facebook and Instagram to keep children hooked, while misleading the public about the risks associated with its platforms. The allegations were made as a landmark federal case opened in Oakland, California.   Twenty-nine US states are behind the lawsuit, with California, Colorado, Kentucky and New Jersey leading the case. The states allege that Meta knew its platforms could harm young users but continued to prioritise engagement and revenue. California prosecutor Megan O’Neill told the court that Meta had built its business model around keeping users online, collecting their data and concealing information about the risks. The states accuse Meta of three main violations: misleading the public about the dangers its platforms pose to minors, deliberately designing features to encourage prolonged use, and collecting data from children under 13 without parental consent. Meta denies deliberately harming children Meta’s lawyer, Paul Schmidt, acknowledged that some users had been harmed but rejected the claim that the company deliberately designed its platforms to be dangerous. The company has maintained that it has worked with parents, experts and law enforcement to introduce safeguards for young users. Reuters reported that Meta is also disputing claims that there is a clear link between adolescent social media use and poor wellbeing. The case could have major financial and operational consequences for the technology giant. The states are seeking damages that have been reported at around $200 billion, while Meta has separately argued in court filings that the potential penalties could reach as much as $1.4 trillion, depending on how damages are calculated. The states are also seeking changes to Meta’s platforms, including measures aimed at limiting children’s screen time and restricting features they say encourage excessive engagement. Zuckerberg expected to testify Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Instagram chief Adam Mosseri are among the executives expected to appear as witnesses during the trial. The proceedings are expected to last several weeks, with a verdict potentially coming later in the year. Parents and activists also gathered outside the courthouse, with some families accusing social media companies of contributing to serious harm suffered by their children. The case is being closely watched because it could influence a growing number of lawsuits against other major platforms, including TikTok, Snapchat and YouTube. The allegations against Meta remain contested and have not been established as fact by the court.
APC primary election timetable for restored constituencies in Delta, Kogi and other Nigerian states.

APC releases primary election timetable for Delta, Kogi, others

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has released its timetable for primary elections in newly restored constituencies across Delta, Kogi, Gombe, Bauchi and Kano states.   The development follows the decision by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to restore four State House of Assembly constituencies in Delta and Kogi after court judgments directed their restoration. INEC has scheduled the party primaries for the restored constituencies between August 21 and 25, 2026, while elections into the affected constituencies are fixed for September 19. The APC listed Abraka, Isoko North II and Ughelli South II in Delta State, as well as Yagba West II in Kogi State, among the constituencies where its primaries will be conducted. The other constituencies are Gombe/Kwami/Funakaye Federal Constituency in Gombe, Disina and Sakwa State Constituencies in Bauchi, Udu State Constituency in Delta, and Dawakin Kudu State Constituency in Kano. According to the APC timetable, the process began on August 18 and is expected to continue until August 24. Candidates seeking the APC ticket for State House of Assembly seats are required to pay N1 million for the expression of interest form and N5 million for the nomination form. For House of Representatives positions, aspirants will pay N1 million for the expression of interest form and N9 million for the nomination form. Female aspirants, youths and persons living with disabilities are entitled to a 50 per cent discount on nomination forms, while the N1 million expression of interest fee remains unchanged. The timetable comes as political parties begin preparations for the September 19 bye-elections and ahead of the wider 2027 electoral cycle.

Must Read

Nigerian Army and NSCDC Mining Marshals officials during the handover of 18 suspected illegal miners arrested in Niger State.

Niger: Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.47m

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered N2.47m in cash and mining equipment during an operation in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.   The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation after soldiers discovered alleged unauthorised mining activities at a site in the area. Following the arrests, the Army handed the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for further investigation and prosecution. The NSCDC Mining Marshals Commander, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Army for its cooperation in tackling illegal mining and described the operation as a demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources. Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects were unable to provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750. Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue intelligence-driven enforcement against illegal mining, which authorities have linked to concerns over environmental degradation, revenue losses and the unauthorised exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources. He added that the NSCDC would continue enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and working with security agencies to protect the country’s solid mineral resources. The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and the suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the law.
Read more
Nigerian Army and NSCDC Mining Marshals officials during the handover of 18 suspected illegal miners arrested in Niger State.

Niger: Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.47m

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered N2.47m in cash and mining equipment during an operation in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.   The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation after soldiers discovered alleged unauthorised mining activities at a site in the area. Following the arrests, the Army handed the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for further investigation and prosecution. The NSCDC Mining Marshals Commander, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Army for its cooperation in tackling illegal mining and described the operation as a demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources. Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects were unable to provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750. Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue intelligence-driven enforcement against illegal mining, which authorities have linked to concerns over environmental degradation, revenue losses and the unauthorised exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources. He added that the NSCDC would continue enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and working with security agencies to protect the country’s solid mineral resources. The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and the suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the law.
NDLEA officials and seized items linked to the arrest of alleged cocaine trafficking suspect KC Luxury.

NDLEA arrests alleged cocaine baron fleeing to Paris

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it has dismantled an international cocaine trafficking network allegedly using Nigeria as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for the UK, Europe and Asia.   According to Punch, the agency arrested Afolabi Kazeem Michael, popularly known as KC Luxury, whom it described as the alleged Nigerian arrowhead of the syndicate. NDLEA Chairman, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), disclosed the development while addressing journalists in Lagos on Tuesday. The agency said the investigation followed the interception of 184.50kg of cocaine concealed in a consignment being processed through a courier logistics company in Lagos. NDLEA said the seizure was the largest quantity of cocaine it had intercepted through a courier company in Nigeria. Marwa said the cartel allegedly expected to make as much as N39bn from the consignment through its international distribution network. The investigation reportedly led to the arrest of two key suspects, including Lawal Mujab Kehinde, a staff member of the logistics company allegedly involved in processing and routing consignments. The NDLEA said investigations identified KC Luxury as the alleged Nigerian coordinator of the network. According to the agency, he presented himself publicly as a luxury goods dealer and social media influencer while allegedly using the image to conceal drug trafficking activities. The suspect was arrested on August 13, 2026, at the boarding gate of Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, after intelligence indicated that he planned to leave Nigeria on a business-class flight to Paris. NDLEA said he was found with €7,750, £2,800 and N100,000, alongside expensive jewellery. A subsequent search of his luxury apartment on Banana Island, Ikoyi, Lagos, reportedly led to the recovery of exotic vehicles. The agency also said the cartel allegedly used false identities to conceal consignors and relied on financial facilitators to move billions of naira. Marwa said some suspected members of the network had also been arrested by authorities in the United Kingdom, describing the arrests in Nigeria and Britain as part of international cooperation against the syndicate. The NDLEA chairman said the latest investigation showed that traffickers were increasingly turning to courier and logistics companies as scrutiny at seaports and airports intensified. He warned that individuals allegedly using luxury lifestyles and social media personas to conceal drug trafficking would be pursued by the agency.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.