/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Blog

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Nigeria rejects Shell's $1.3bn oil asset sale

October 16, 2024

Nigeria’s oil regulator has rejected Shell’s proposed $1.3 billion sale of its onshore oilfields to Renaissance group because the buyer is not qualified to manage the assets, ThisDay newspaper reported...

Shaibu remains impeached, Obaseki insists

October 4, 2024

The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has stated that the embattled Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, remains impeached. Obaseki made this statement on Friday in reaction to a comment credited...

Gunmen storm Plateau villages, kill 18 in overnight assault

October 4, 2024

Suspected gunmen on Wednesday kidnapped and killed the All Progressives Congress Chairman of Suru Local Government Area of Kebbi State, Bako Bala. According to a post on the official Facebook...

Trending

DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tunji Disu speaking at a youth leadership and security dialogue in Abuja.

IGP warns politicians against recruiting youths for violence

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has warned Nigerian politicians against recruiting or arming young people to carry out political violence ahead of the 2027 general elections.   Disu issued the warning on Thursday in Abuja during the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue, organised by the Nigeria Police Force to mark the 2026 International Youth Day. The IGP said the police would protect the integrity of the electoral process but would not tolerate violence, voter intimidation, destruction of property or the possession and use of weapons for electoral purposes. According to TheCable, Disu appealed to political leaders not to recruit, arm or finance young Nigerians to attack their opponents. He also urged politicians not to incite youths or encourage them to commit crimes with promises of protection afterwards. Disu warned that political violence was no longer limited to physical confrontations, saying it could also begin online through misinformation, disinformation, hate speech, cyberbullying, impersonation, deepfakes and coordinated digital attacks. He urged young Nigerians to verify information before sharing or acting on it, stressing the importance of responsible use of social media. The police chief’s warning comes amid concerns over violence linked to recent political activities, including killings and clashes surrounding the Osun governorship election. The two leading parties in Osun, Accord and the All Progressives Congress, recorded losses of members during the period. Dele Ayegbo, nephew of APC campaign director-general Wole Oke, was reportedly shot dead two days before the election. The police, however, have maintained that several of the pre-election clashes and killings were cult-related rather than politically motivated.
Samsung logo displayed at the company's headquarters as Samsung unveils the Galaxy Z Fold8, Z Fold8 Ultra and Z Flip8 foldable smartphones.

Samsung to buy back up to $80bn in shares

South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics has approved a shareholder return plan worth up to $80bn, marking the largest share buyback programme of its kind in South Korea.   The company said on Friday that its board had approved a 2026 shareholder return plan estimated at between 90 trillion and 110 trillion won, equivalent to roughly $80bn. Samsung said the plan was designed to ensure that the benefits of its growth translate into tangible returns for shareholders. The company will initially pay about 30 trillion won in cash dividends in the third quarter, with further details expected to be finalised at a board meeting in late October. The announcement follows rival chipmaker SK hynix’s decision on Wednesday to unveil a $28.9bn share buyback programme. Its shares subsequently rose 12 per cent the following day. Samsung and SK hynix have benefited from surging demand for advanced chips used in artificial intelligence systems. Samsung reported an operating profit increase of more than 1,800 per cent in the second quarter, driven by strong AI-related chip demand. Samsung shares reached a record 370,000 won in June before falling amid investor concerns and a wider technology sector sell-off. They were trading at around 279,000 won on Friday and closed 3.9 per cent higher following expectations of the shareholder return announcement. According to Samsung’s semi-annual report, the company has around eight million minority shareholders, representing almost one-fifth of South Korea’s adult population. The company’s share price gains, alongside those of SK hynix, previously helped push South Korea’s benchmark Kospi index above 9,000 points in June before the broader technology rout caused it to retreat.
Nigerians Fears Deportation As UK Visa Rule Changes, gong-news.com

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, citing security concerns, while urging travellers to undertake only essential trips to several other states and the Federal Capital Territory.   The latest advisory was issued by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on Thursday, August 20, 2026, as part of its updated travel advice for Nigeria. The advisory confirms that the UK’s strongest warning applies to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states, as well as specified riverine areas in five southern states. In the North-East, the FCDO advised against all travel to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe. Bauchi was placed under the less severe category of all but essential travel. In the North-West, Katsina and Zamfara were listed under the advice against all travel, while Kaduna, Kano, Kebbi, Jigawa and Sokoto were classified as areas where only essential travel was recommended. The advisory also covers several North-Central states. Niger, Kogi, Plateau, Taraba, Kwara and Benue were placed under the all-but-essential travel category. In the South-East, the UK advised against all but essential travel to Abia, Anambra and Imo. The warning also applies to riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River states. The FCDO defines these areas as river and swamp locations accessible by boat but not by road. Non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers are classified under the all-but-essential travel category. The Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja, is also listed among areas where the UK advises against all but essential travel. The FCDO cautioned that no travel can be guaranteed safe and advised travellers to research their destinations and obtain appropriate travel insurance before visiting Nigeria. It also warned that travel insurance could be invalidated if travellers go against FCDO advice, while urging them to ensure their policies cover their full itinerary, planned activities and possible emergency expenses. The latest guidance covers entry requirements, safety and security, regional risks, health concerns and assistance available to British nationals in Nigeria. Originating source: PUNCH Newspapers, reporting on the updated UK FCDO travel advisory. The FCDO’s official Nigeria travel advice confirms the travel-risk classifications.

Must Read

DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Read more
DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tunji Disu speaking at a youth leadership and security dialogue in Abuja.

IGP warns politicians against recruiting youths for violence

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has warned Nigerian politicians against recruiting or arming young people to carry out political violence ahead of the 2027 general elections.   Disu issued the warning on Thursday in Abuja during the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue, organised by the Nigeria Police Force to mark the 2026 International Youth Day. The IGP said the police would protect the integrity of the electoral process but would not tolerate violence, voter intimidation, destruction of property or the possession and use of weapons for electoral purposes. According to TheCable, Disu appealed to political leaders not to recruit, arm or finance young Nigerians to attack their opponents. He also urged politicians not to incite youths or encourage them to commit crimes with promises of protection afterwards. Disu warned that political violence was no longer limited to physical confrontations, saying it could also begin online through misinformation, disinformation, hate speech, cyberbullying, impersonation, deepfakes and coordinated digital attacks. He urged young Nigerians to verify information before sharing or acting on it, stressing the importance of responsible use of social media. The police chief’s warning comes amid concerns over violence linked to recent political activities, including killings and clashes surrounding the Osun governorship election. The two leading parties in Osun, Accord and the All Progressives Congress, recorded losses of members during the period. Dele Ayegbo, nephew of APC campaign director-general Wole Oke, was reportedly shot dead two days before the election. The police, however, have maintained that several of the pre-election clashes and killings were cult-related rather than politically motivated.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.