/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Blog

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News

Trending

Samsung logo displayed at the company's headquarters as Samsung unveils the Galaxy Z Fold8, Z Fold8 Ultra and Z Flip8 foldable smartphones.

Samsung to buy back up to $80bn in shares

South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics has approved a shareholder return plan worth up to $80bn, marking the largest share buyback programme of its kind in South Korea.   The company said on Friday that its board had approved a 2026 shareholder return plan estimated at between 90 trillion and 110 trillion won, equivalent to roughly $80bn. Samsung said the plan was designed to ensure that the benefits of its growth translate into tangible returns for shareholders. The company will initially pay about 30 trillion won in cash dividends in the third quarter, with further details expected to be finalised at a board meeting in late October. The announcement follows rival chipmaker SK hynix’s decision on Wednesday to unveil a $28.9bn share buyback programme. Its shares subsequently rose 12 per cent the following day. Samsung and SK hynix have benefited from surging demand for advanced chips used in artificial intelligence systems. Samsung reported an operating profit increase of more than 1,800 per cent in the second quarter, driven by strong AI-related chip demand. Samsung shares reached a record 370,000 won in June before falling amid investor concerns and a wider technology sector sell-off. They were trading at around 279,000 won on Friday and closed 3.9 per cent higher following expectations of the shareholder return announcement. According to Samsung’s semi-annual report, the company has around eight million minority shareholders, representing almost one-fifth of South Korea’s adult population. The company’s share price gains, alongside those of SK hynix, previously helped push South Korea’s benchmark Kospi index above 9,000 points in June before the broader technology rout caused it to retreat.
Nigerians Fears Deportation As UK Visa Rule Changes, gong-news.com

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, citing security concerns, while urging travellers to undertake only essential trips to several other states and the Federal Capital Territory.   The latest advisory was issued by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on Thursday, August 20, 2026, as part of its updated travel advice for Nigeria. The advisory confirms that the UK’s strongest warning applies to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states, as well as specified riverine areas in five southern states. In the North-East, the FCDO advised against all travel to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe. Bauchi was placed under the less severe category of all but essential travel. In the North-West, Katsina and Zamfara were listed under the advice against all travel, while Kaduna, Kano, Kebbi, Jigawa and Sokoto were classified as areas where only essential travel was recommended. The advisory also covers several North-Central states. Niger, Kogi, Plateau, Taraba, Kwara and Benue were placed under the all-but-essential travel category. In the South-East, the UK advised against all but essential travel to Abia, Anambra and Imo. The warning also applies to riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River states. The FCDO defines these areas as river and swamp locations accessible by boat but not by road. Non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers are classified under the all-but-essential travel category. The Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja, is also listed among areas where the UK advises against all but essential travel. The FCDO cautioned that no travel can be guaranteed safe and advised travellers to research their destinations and obtain appropriate travel insurance before visiting Nigeria. It also warned that travel insurance could be invalidated if travellers go against FCDO advice, while urging them to ensure their policies cover their full itinerary, planned activities and possible emergency expenses. The latest guidance covers entry requirements, safety and security, regional risks, health concerns and assistance available to British nationals in Nigeria. Originating source: PUNCH Newspapers, reporting on the updated UK FCDO travel advisory. The FCDO’s official Nigeria travel advice confirms the travel-risk classifications.
https://gongnews.org/eid FG declares Monday, Tuesday as public holidays

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad.   The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, announced the holiday on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued on Friday by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Magdalene Ajani. Tunji-Ojo congratulated Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora, urging Nigerians to reflect on the values of compassion, humility and service associated with the life of Prophet Muhammad. The minister said the occasion should provide an opportunity for Nigerians to reflect on values that are important to the country, including compassion, humility and service to others. He also called on citizens to use the celebration to pray for peace and national cohesion, stressing that maintaining Nigeria’s unity was a collective responsibility. Tunji-Ojo urged Nigerians to celebrate the occasion with restraint and mutual respect while wishing the Muslim community a peaceful and joyous Eid. He further reaffirmed the commitment of the President Bola Tinubu administration to protecting lives and property and sustaining peace across the country.
Ronaldinho holds a Ravenna FC jersey during the Italian club's team presentation in Marina di Ravenna.

Ronaldinho returns at 46, targets 300th career goal

Brazil legend Ronaldinho is set to make a sensational return to football at the age of 46 after joining Italian third-tier club Ravenna FC, 11 years after his last professional appearance.   The former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan star confirmed his return on Thursday during Ravenna’s team presentation in Marina di Ravenna. Ronaldinho retired from professional football in 2015 after playing his final official match for Brazilian side Fluminense. He now hopes to help Ravenna while potentially chasing the 300th goal of his career. “I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” Ronaldinho said, according to AFP. The 2002 World Cup winner also left open the possibility of returning to competitive action. “Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that,” he said. “Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.” Ronaldinho added that he feels fit and would be delighted to score what he considers his 300th career goal. Ravenna president Ignazio Cipriani said Ronaldinho’s involvement was not intended simply as a publicity stunt. The former Brazil international is also expected to become a shareholder in the club. However, Ronaldinho will not feature when Ravenna open their Serie C campaign against Reggiana on Monday. Cipriani said the Brazilian’s main objective was to help the club and potentially score one final goal. Ronaldinho scored 33 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and won the Ballon d’Or in 2005. His decorated club career included spells with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan. Ravenna finished third in Group B of Italy’s third division last season and are targeting promotion to Serie B, where they have not played since 2008. The club’s move for Ronaldinho was announced in June during the World Cup in Miami. Reuters also reported that the 46-year-old had joined Ravenna as both an investor and potential player, although his exact playing role remains undecided.

Must Read

Samsung logo displayed at the company's headquarters as Samsung unveils the Galaxy Z Fold8, Z Fold8 Ultra and Z Flip8 foldable smartphones.

Samsung to buy back up to $80bn in shares

South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics has approved a shareholder return plan worth up to $80bn, marking the largest share buyback programme of its kind in South Korea.   The company said on Friday that its board had approved a 2026 shareholder return plan estimated at between 90 trillion and 110 trillion won, equivalent to roughly $80bn. Samsung said the plan was designed to ensure that the benefits of its growth translate into tangible returns for shareholders. The company will initially pay about 30 trillion won in cash dividends in the third quarter, with further details expected to be finalised at a board meeting in late October. The announcement follows rival chipmaker SK hynix’s decision on Wednesday to unveil a $28.9bn share buyback programme. Its shares subsequently rose 12 per cent the following day. Samsung and SK hynix have benefited from surging demand for advanced chips used in artificial intelligence systems. Samsung reported an operating profit increase of more than 1,800 per cent in the second quarter, driven by strong AI-related chip demand. Samsung shares reached a record 370,000 won in June before falling amid investor concerns and a wider technology sector sell-off. They were trading at around 279,000 won on Friday and closed 3.9 per cent higher following expectations of the shareholder return announcement. According to Samsung’s semi-annual report, the company has around eight million minority shareholders, representing almost one-fifth of South Korea’s adult population. The company’s share price gains, alongside those of SK hynix, previously helped push South Korea’s benchmark Kospi index above 9,000 points in June before the broader technology rout caused it to retreat.
Read more
Samsung logo displayed at the company's headquarters as Samsung unveils the Galaxy Z Fold8, Z Fold8 Ultra and Z Flip8 foldable smartphones.

Samsung to buy back up to $80bn in shares

South Korean technology giant Samsung Electronics has approved a shareholder return plan worth up to $80bn, marking the largest share buyback programme of its kind in South Korea.   The company said on Friday that its board had approved a 2026 shareholder return plan estimated at between 90 trillion and 110 trillion won, equivalent to roughly $80bn. Samsung said the plan was designed to ensure that the benefits of its growth translate into tangible returns for shareholders. The company will initially pay about 30 trillion won in cash dividends in the third quarter, with further details expected to be finalised at a board meeting in late October. The announcement follows rival chipmaker SK hynix’s decision on Wednesday to unveil a $28.9bn share buyback programme. Its shares subsequently rose 12 per cent the following day. Samsung and SK hynix have benefited from surging demand for advanced chips used in artificial intelligence systems. Samsung reported an operating profit increase of more than 1,800 per cent in the second quarter, driven by strong AI-related chip demand. Samsung shares reached a record 370,000 won in June before falling amid investor concerns and a wider technology sector sell-off. They were trading at around 279,000 won on Friday and closed 3.9 per cent higher following expectations of the shareholder return announcement. According to Samsung’s semi-annual report, the company has around eight million minority shareholders, representing almost one-fifth of South Korea’s adult population. The company’s share price gains, alongside those of SK hynix, previously helped push South Korea’s benchmark Kospi index above 9,000 points in June before the broader technology rout caused it to retreat.
Nigerians Fears Deportation As UK Visa Rule Changes, gong-news.com

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, citing security concerns, while urging travellers to undertake only essential trips to several other states and the Federal Capital Territory.   The latest advisory was issued by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on Thursday, August 20, 2026, as part of its updated travel advice for Nigeria. The advisory confirms that the UK’s strongest warning applies to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara states, as well as specified riverine areas in five southern states. In the North-East, the FCDO advised against all travel to Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe. Bauchi was placed under the less severe category of all but essential travel. In the North-West, Katsina and Zamfara were listed under the advice against all travel, while Kaduna, Kano, Kebbi, Jigawa and Sokoto were classified as areas where only essential travel was recommended. The advisory also covers several North-Central states. Niger, Kogi, Plateau, Taraba, Kwara and Benue were placed under the all-but-essential travel category. In the South-East, the UK advised against all but essential travel to Abia, Anambra and Imo. The warning also applies to riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River states. The FCDO defines these areas as river and swamp locations accessible by boat but not by road. Non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers are classified under the all-but-essential travel category. The Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja, is also listed among areas where the UK advises against all but essential travel. The FCDO cautioned that no travel can be guaranteed safe and advised travellers to research their destinations and obtain appropriate travel insurance before visiting Nigeria. It also warned that travel insurance could be invalidated if travellers go against FCDO advice, while urging them to ensure their policies cover their full itinerary, planned activities and possible emergency expenses. The latest guidance covers entry requirements, safety and security, regional risks, health concerns and assistance available to British nationals in Nigeria. Originating source: PUNCH Newspapers, reporting on the updated UK FCDO travel advisory. The FCDO’s official Nigeria travel advice confirms the travel-risk classifications.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.