/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Nigeria

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Uncompleted Building Collapses in Ibadan, gong-news.com

June 25, 2025

An uncompleted building has collapsed in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. The incident happened on Tuesday afternoon at Ruby’s Court Estate, situated behind Saint Anne’s School in the Olorunsogo, Molete...

Trending

Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, Nollywood actor diagnosed with stage four cancer.

Ogogo diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, family seeks treatment

Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has been diagnosed with stage four cancer, according to his family.   The family disclosed the development in a social media video shared by Kira, one of the actor’s daughters. She said the condition was discovered about three weeks ago and has affected his abdomen. Kira said some medical institutions have told the family that they can no longer administer chemotherapy to the actor. She appealed for recommendations for other possible treatment options, stressing that the family was seeking medical help rather than financial donations. “He has cancer, and it is stage 4. The hospital is saying that they cannot treat him again. They cannot give him chemo anymore,” Kira said. She also acknowledged the support of Senator Solomon Adeola, who represents Ogun West and, according to the family, has been helping to settle the actor’s medical bills. Another daughter, Lima, said Adeola had promised to continue supporting the family financially. Lima appealed to anyone with knowledge of doctors or treatment options that could help her father to come forward. “I cannot watch my daddy die,” she said. The family also disclosed that Ogogo is currently not fit to be flown abroad for treatment, in response to a suggestion by socialite Yhemo Lee. The actor, whose real name is Taiwo Hassan, is a veteran Nollywood performer known for his roles in Yoruba-language films.
Rescue workers search through the rubble of a collapsed building in La Guaira, Venezuela, following the devastating June 24 earthquakes that have killed more than 3,500 people.

Venezuela earthquake death toll rises to 6,438

The death toll from twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela on June 24 has risen to 6,438, according to the latest official figures released on Monday.   The 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes struck near Venezuela’s coast, destroying at least 190 buildings and leaving thousands of people displaced. According to Channels Television, Parliament Speaker Jorge Rodriguez announced the latest toll, up from the 6,301 deaths reported the previous week. Relatives and rescue teams are still searching for missing people nearly two months after the disaster. Authorities said about 60,000 homes were affected, including 24,000 that were rendered uninhabitable. Thousands of residents remain in temporary camps amid difficult conditions. Heavy rain in Caracas over the weekend also damaged some tents housing earthquake victims. Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government has pledged to provide permanent housing for those affected. So far, 335 homes have been made available out of the 4,000 the government promised by the end of the year. The disaster has left communities along the affected areas facing a prolonged recovery as rescue and relief operations continue.
Healthcare facility sanitation standards report showing global gaps in toilets, water, hygiene and waste management.

Only 40% of Global Health Facilities meet basic sanitation standards

Only four in 10 healthcare facilities worldwide met basic sanitation standards in 2025, according to a new report by the World Health Organisation and UNICEF.   The report, which provides the first global estimates of sanitation services in healthcare settings, found that 11 per cent of facilities had no sanitation services at all, affecting an estimated 936 million people. Basic sanitation was defined as having usable toilets that meet the needs of patients and staff, including at least one toilet for staff, a sex-separated toilet with menstrual hygiene facilities and an accessible toilet for people with limited mobility. The findings showed significant regional disparities. Only 23 per cent of healthcare facilities in sub-Saharan Africa provided basic sanitation services, compared with 55 per cent in central and southern Asia. The report also assessed other essential services needed to maintain safe healthcare environments. An estimated 85 per cent of facilities had basic water services, while 72 per cent had basic hygiene services and 71 per cent met basic healthcare waste management standards. Environmental cleaning remained another major gap. Only 59 per cent of healthcare facilities met basic environmental cleaning standards, which require cleaning protocols and trained cleaning staff as part of infection prevention and control measures. The report found that 18 per cent of facilities, serving approximately 1.5 billion people, met neither of the environmental cleaning requirements. Data for this category came from 54 countries. Conditions were particularly poor in the world’s least-developed countries, where only 24 per cent of healthcare facilities met the environmental cleaning standard. The findings highlight persistent gaps in water, sanitation, hygiene, cleaning and waste management across healthcare facilities, particularly in poorer regions.
WAEC arrests over 20 examination officials for malpractice

WAEC under fire over 2026 results, schools question results, grading process

The West African Examinations Council is facing mounting scrutiny over its 2026 West African Senior School Certificate Examination results following complaints from school administrators and education stakeholders about alleged grading anomalies, technical difficulties and the rollout of computer-based testing.   The concerns emerged after some schools reported that high-performing students received lower grades in the 2026 WASSCE than expected based on their previous academic records and performance in other standardised examinations. Sam Abdulazeez, Director of Impact House Model Schools in Mowe, Ogun State, said his school recorded a sharp decline in students’ WASSCE performance despite retaining its teaching staff, improving facilities and intensifying examination preparations. He said all 45 candidates presented by the school for Mathematics in 2024 obtained A1. However, among 69 candidates in 2026, only about three or four secured A1 in Mathematics. Abdulazeez also said some students who scored highly in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination did not achieve comparable grades in WASSCE. The school director linked some of the concerns to the introduction of serialisation and computer-based testing, saying the school experienced technical problems during a WAEC mock examination. He said the systems initially failed to connect to WAEC’s server, prompting the school to contact officials in Ogun and Lagos. The school was eventually allowed to conduct a paper-based examination. Abdulazeez also alleged that some grades in the school’s 2025 WASSCE results later changed on the result portal, saying the experience contributed to concerns surrounding the 2026 results. Another school administrator, who spoke anonymously, alleged that some students with strong UTME scores and previous academic records received D7, E8 and F9 grades in core WASSCE subjects. The administrator said two affected students who had secured admission to the University of Ibadan were recorded as failing Mathematics and English Language. Educationist Fola Adekeye called on examination bodies to ensure that their processes and results met required standards of integrity. He also urged WAEC to improve its facilities and clearly communicate changes to examination methods and curricula. Meanwhile, the Initiative for School Excellence and Education Foundation, through its solicitors, Zuriel Law Practice, has threatened legal action against WAEC over alleged irregularities in the conduct and processing of the 2026 Computer-Based WASSCE. The organisation asked WAEC to preserve electronic records, including candidate response databases, audit trails, server logs and scoring records. It also requested disclosure of the technical standards governing the 2026 CBE and proposed an independent audit of the examination platform. The organisation gave WAEC 14 days from receipt of its demand to confirm preservation of the records and establish review procedures. Its founder, Alex Onyia, also called for greater transparency around WAEC’s grading and standardisation processes, including disclosure of raw-score distributions and grade thresholds for major subjects. However, WAEC has defended the integrity of the 2026 WASSCE results. The council said the examination was conducted in accordance with its established standard operating procedures and relevant educational policies. WAEC’s Head of Public Affairs, Moyosola Adesina, said the results underwent rigorous quality-assurance processes. The examination body explained that candidates’ scripts passed through multiple levels of marking, moderation and auditing using standardised marking schemes supervised by subject experts. WAEC urged candidates, parents and schools with concerns about their results to contact the council directly through its offices and verified communication channels rather than relying on unverified claims on social media. The controversy comes amid wider scrutiny of Nigeria’s examination system following errors associated with the 2025 UTME, for which former JAMB Registrar Prof Ishaq Oloyede publicly apologised. The latest WAEC dispute has therefore renewed calls from education stakeholders for greater transparency in examination administration, result processing and the adoption of new testing technologies.

Must Read

Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, Nollywood actor diagnosed with stage four cancer.

Ogogo diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, family seeks treatment

Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has been diagnosed with stage four cancer, according to his family.   The family disclosed the development in a social media video shared by Kira, one of the actor’s daughters. She said the condition was discovered about three weeks ago and has affected his abdomen. Kira said some medical institutions have told the family that they can no longer administer chemotherapy to the actor. She appealed for recommendations for other possible treatment options, stressing that the family was seeking medical help rather than financial donations. “He has cancer, and it is stage 4. The hospital is saying that they cannot treat him again. They cannot give him chemo anymore,” Kira said. She also acknowledged the support of Senator Solomon Adeola, who represents Ogun West and, according to the family, has been helping to settle the actor’s medical bills. Another daughter, Lima, said Adeola had promised to continue supporting the family financially. Lima appealed to anyone with knowledge of doctors or treatment options that could help her father to come forward. “I cannot watch my daddy die,” she said. The family also disclosed that Ogogo is currently not fit to be flown abroad for treatment, in response to a suggestion by socialite Yhemo Lee. The actor, whose real name is Taiwo Hassan, is a veteran Nollywood performer known for his roles in Yoruba-language films.
Read more
Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, Nollywood actor diagnosed with stage four cancer.

Ogogo diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, family seeks treatment

Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has been diagnosed with stage four cancer, according to his family.   The family disclosed the development in a social media video shared by Kira, one of the actor’s daughters. She said the condition was discovered about three weeks ago and has affected his abdomen. Kira said some medical institutions have told the family that they can no longer administer chemotherapy to the actor. She appealed for recommendations for other possible treatment options, stressing that the family was seeking medical help rather than financial donations. “He has cancer, and it is stage 4. The hospital is saying that they cannot treat him again. They cannot give him chemo anymore,” Kira said. She also acknowledged the support of Senator Solomon Adeola, who represents Ogun West and, according to the family, has been helping to settle the actor’s medical bills. Another daughter, Lima, said Adeola had promised to continue supporting the family financially. Lima appealed to anyone with knowledge of doctors or treatment options that could help her father to come forward. “I cannot watch my daddy die,” she said. The family also disclosed that Ogogo is currently not fit to be flown abroad for treatment, in response to a suggestion by socialite Yhemo Lee. The actor, whose real name is Taiwo Hassan, is a veteran Nollywood performer known for his roles in Yoruba-language films.
Rescue workers search through the rubble of a collapsed building in La Guaira, Venezuela, following the devastating June 24 earthquakes that have killed more than 3,500 people.

Venezuela earthquake death toll rises to 6,438

The death toll from twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela on June 24 has risen to 6,438, according to the latest official figures released on Monday.   The 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes struck near Venezuela’s coast, destroying at least 190 buildings and leaving thousands of people displaced. According to Channels Television, Parliament Speaker Jorge Rodriguez announced the latest toll, up from the 6,301 deaths reported the previous week. Relatives and rescue teams are still searching for missing people nearly two months after the disaster. Authorities said about 60,000 homes were affected, including 24,000 that were rendered uninhabitable. Thousands of residents remain in temporary camps amid difficult conditions. Heavy rain in Caracas over the weekend also damaged some tents housing earthquake victims. Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government has pledged to provide permanent housing for those affected. So far, 335 homes have been made available out of the 4,000 the government promised by the end of the year. The disaster has left communities along the affected areas facing a prolonged recovery as rescue and relief operations continue.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.