/ May 19, 2026
/ May 19, 2026

Gov Mbah ends Sit-At-Home, ask Tinubu to free Kanu

Published on

By

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State has banned the sit-at-home order in the state while calling on President Bola Tinubu to release the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu. 

Mbah made this known while briefing journalists on the outcome of his first security council meeting with the heads of all the security agencies at the Government House, Enugu State.

The sit-at-home, declared in the South-East to press for Kanu’s release, the governor noted, has impeded economic activities.

“Consequently, from Monday, June 6, 2023, there will be no observance of any sit-at-home in all nooks and crannies of Enugu State,” he said on Thursday.

Governor Mbah noted that his “government will enforce this with all the powers at its disposal”.

While assuring stakeholders of dialogue, the governor urged Enugu residents “to take back our sense of industry, pride of place and re-enact our glorious past. By heeding this call, you would have set us on the path of actualizing our mandate”.

Calling on President Tinubu to release Kanu to quicken the much-needed healing process in Nigeria, he said the development will be a stretching of hands of fellowship to the South-East region.

“Let me also call on our newly sworn-in president, His Excellency Bola Tinubu, to consciously work towards the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. We believe that his release will expedite the healing process Nigeria needs at this time,” Governor Mbah said. “It will also be a pointer to his administration’s extension of brotherly hands of fellowship to Ndigbo.”

Kanu has been in detention since 2021 and despite repeated pleas for his release, the government of the immediate past President Muhammadu Buhari failed to do so.

You May Like

2 thoughts on “Gov Mbah ends Sit-At-Home, ask Tinubu to free Kanu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season. As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season. Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season. With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage. The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed as Guardiola’s successor in due course. The Italian manager, who won the Club World Cup and Conference League while securing Champions League qualification during his only full season at Stamford Bridge, previously worked at City. He worked directly under Guardiola during City’s treble-winning 2022-23 campaign and played a key role in the club’s academy prior to joining the first team. The former West Brom and Juventus midfielder left City in 2023 to manage Leicester, whom he guided to promotion to the Premier League in his only season. Guardiola said previously: “One of the best managers in the world, Enzo Maresca, I know him quite well but, the job he has done at Chelsea does not get enough credit. “Winning the Club World Cup, Conference League, qualification for the Champions League in a league that is so tough with a young team. It is exceptional.”
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.