/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Nigerian passenger dies on British Airways flight to Abuja

Published on

By

A Nigerian passenger, in the early hours of yesterday, died onboard British Airways flight, which departed London Heathrow Airport for the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja.

The passenger, who was simply identified as a retired Air Vice Marshal, our correspondent learnt, was ill before departing London for Abuja, but died on board less than two hours after departure.

The incident, our correspondent learnt, forced the pilot to make an emergency landing at the El Prat Airport, Barcelona, Spain, at about 1:10 a.m.

The six-hour flight departed from Heathrow London Airport on Sunday at 11:30pm.

Our correspondent learnt that the octogenarian was being brought back to Nigeria for further treatment by his family because of the illness.

However, when our correspondent contacted the Regional Commercial Manager for Nigeria and Ghana, British Airways, Mrs Tutu Otuyalo, she did not respond to her call, while a message sent to her mobile line was also not responded to as at the time of filing this report.

But a report monitored by newsmen alleged that Otuyalo confirmed the incident.

She reportedly claimed that the deceased passenger had a terminal illness.

She also apologised to other disturbed passengers, even as the airline made efforts to ensure that a new aircraft was deployed to the routes to evacuate the passengers from Barcelona airport.

The airline said: “Passengers are advised to expect an email with more information and can reach out to the airline’s Live Chat feature for support.

“British Airways acknowledges the inconvenience and thanks passengers for their patience and understanding. We’d like to advise that the replacement aircraft for your flight to Abuja is now on its way.

“The estimated time of departure from Barcelona is 14:50 local time, with arrival into Abuja expected at approximately 17:45 local time. We understand the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon. British Airways.”

You May Like

One thought on “Nigerian passenger dies on British Airways flight to Abuja

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.