/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

PHOTOS: Peter Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 Poll

Published on

By

Peter Obi has been cleared by the Nigeria Democratic Congress as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its primaries for the 2027 election.

 

According to TheCable, Obi was screened on Tuesday at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja by the NDC’s national screening committee, chaired by Sam Egwu.

The former Anambra governor arrived at the venue around 6:45pm alongside Victor Umeh. After the exercise, Egwu announced that the committee was satisfied with Obi’s responses and confirmed he met all constitutional and electoral requirements.

Egwu presented Obi with an official clearance letter and the party’s nomination form numbered 001, formally confirming his eligibility to contest in the party’s presidential primary, with the date yet to be announced.

Obi had picked up his expression of interest and nomination forms on May 17, which was the original deadline set by the party. The NDC later extended the deadline for other categories of aspirants to May 24, but maintained that presidential nomination form collection had already closed.

The party said submission of completed nomination forms by all screened and cleared aspirants would begin on May 20 and end on May 26.

The development positions Obi as the only confirmed presidential hopeful under the NDC banner as preparations gather pace for Nigeria’s 2027 presidential race.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.