/ Aug 23, 2026
/ Aug 23, 2026

Presidency explains Al-Manuki mix-up, confirms terror leader killed

Published on

By

The Presidency has defended the reported killing of senior Islamic State leader Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, insisting that claims he had been eliminated in a previous operation were the result of mistaken identity.

 

According to a report by Punch, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said earlier reports linking Al-Manuki to a 2024 military operation were based on incorrect battlefield assessments.

Responding to public scepticism after US President Donald Trump announced the joint Nigeria-United States operation, Onanuga explained that security officials had reviewed the earlier intelligence and concluded that Al-Manuki had been wrongly identified.

He said intelligence later confirmed that the Birnin Gwari forest area, where the 2024 operation took place, was never within Al-Manuki’s operational territory, making the previous assessment inaccurate.

Onanuga disclosed that the latest operation followed months of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance efforts, supported by communications monitoring and phone intercepts that began in December 2025.

According to him, security agencies initially planned to capture Al-Manuki alive, placing him under surveillance in locations including Abuja and Maiduguri before authorising the final military strike.

He said multiple layers of verification were carried out before the operation, adding that security officials are now “100 per cent certain” the target was Al-Manuki.

The clarification follows comparisons with previous counterterrorism operations in which militant leaders, including Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, were wrongly declared dead before later resurfacing.

Trump announced the operation on Friday through his Truth Social platform, describing Al-Manuki as “the most active terrorist in the world” and “second in command of ISIS globally.”

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth later identified Al-Manuki as the senior ISIS General Directorate of Provinces Emir, responsible for coordinating attacks, hostage-taking and financial operations across the Sahel. The US Africa Command also released footage of the targeted strikes.

President Bola Tinubu praised the joint Nigeria-US mission, describing it as a major blow against the Islamic State and highlighting the value of security cooperation between both countries.

Al-Manuki, also known by several aliases including Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad ibn Ali al-Mainuki and Abubakar Mainok, was born in Mainok, Borno State, in 1982. He was designated a Specially Designated Global Terrorist by the US Department of State in June 2023 and rose through the ranks of ISWAP following the death of Mamman Nur in 2018.

Onanuga urged Nigerians not to undermine verified joint military operations, warning that doing so could weaken public confidence in ongoing counterterrorism efforts.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Saliu Mustapha speaking during a television interview about the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.

Saliu Mustapha vows to defeat AbdulRazaq in Kwara senate race

Senator Saliu Mustapha has expressed confidence that he will defeat Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq in the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.   Mustapha, who recently defected from the All Progressives Congress to the Peoples Democratic Party, made the declaration during an interview with Channels Television on Friday. The senator said his departure from the APC was difficult because of his role in the formation of the party. He recalled serving as deputy national chairman of the Congress for Progressive Change and said he helped facilitate the merger that eventually produced the APC. Mustapha questioned AbdulRazaq’s political allegiance during the period the APC was formed, noting that the governor was then a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. “Where was Abdulrahman Abdulrazak then? Where was he then? He was in PDP then, fighting against us,” Mustapha said, according to TheCable. He said consultations with constituents and political stakeholders influenced his decision to leave the APC, describing the move as a collective response to what he called “shenanigans” within the party in Kwara. Mustapha had contested the APC governorship primary on May 22 but lost to Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. Danladi-Salihu secured 94,990 votes in the primary. Following his failure to secure the governorship ticket, Mustapha also lost the opportunity to return to the Senate on the APC platform after AbdulRazaq emerged as the party’s preferred candidate for Kwara Central. Asked whether he could defeat the governor in the senatorial contest, Mustapha gave an emphatic response. “I will have won that election 12 o’clock before one o’clock,” he said. When asked whether he was specifically referring to defeating AbdulRazaq, he replied: “Yes, it will be one election; Nigerians will be waiting to see the result.” Mustapha also claimed that members of the G15, the Elders Caucus and the Otoge Progressives were favourably disposed towards supporting PDP candidates in the 2027 elections. He attributed the development to dissatisfaction over the conduct of the APC primaries, including what he described as inadequate consultation and a lack of a sense of belonging among stakeholders. According to him, Kwara had more than 160 aspirants for state House of Assembly seats, about 17 governorship aspirants, 64 House of Representatives aspirants and 15 senatorial aspirants before the APC primaries. Mustapha said several political parties approached the aggrieved stakeholders, but they chose the PDP because of its support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 ambition. “We looked at the most friendly party,” he said, describing the Wike-led PDP faction as the leading party outside the APC supporting Tinubu’s presidential bid. The comments set the stage for a closely watched political contest in Kwara Central as Mustapha prepares to challenge AbdulRazaq for the senatorial seat in 2027.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.