/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Russian missile attack leaves 18 dead before NATO Summit

Published on

By

A Russian strike on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least 18 people and injured around 60 others, just one day before NATO leaders gather for a crucial summit in Ankara.

 

According to AFP, reported by Channels Television, Russia launched 68 missiles and 351 attack drones overnight, targeting Kyiv and surrounding areas. Ukrainian authorities said apartment buildings were among the sites hit, with a missile tearing through a multi-storey residential block and leaving rescuers searching for survivors beneath the rubble.

President Volodymyr Zelensky called on NATO allies to take “strong decisions” to strengthen Ukraine’s air defences, saying the country urgently needs more interceptor missiles for US-made Patriot systems to counter Russian ballistic missile attacks.

“It is critically important that the world, first and foremost the United States and our European partners, come out of the NATO summit in Ankara with strong decisions in support of our air defence,” Zelensky said.

The attack came less than a week after another Russian bombardment of Kyiv killed more than 30 people, increasing pressure on Ukraine’s Western allies to provide additional military support.

The European Union also backed calls for increased air defence assistance. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the latest attack demonstrated Ukraine’s urgent need for more defensive capabilities, with the issue expected to feature prominently during the NATO summit.

Russia’s defence ministry said the operation was a “massive strike” aimed at military-industrial facilities as well as fuel and energy infrastructure across several Ukrainian regions. Ukrainian officials, however, said around 30 residential buildings in Kyiv were damaged.

Residents described scenes of destruction as explosions shattered windows and damaged homes. One local, Oleksandr Bakhlukov, said powerful blasts during the early hours destroyed every window in his apartment. Another resident, Anna Misko, said she and her child survived after taking shelter on the ground floor before a missile struck the upper levels of their building.

Meanwhile, Russia said it intercepted more than 500 Ukrainian drones overnight, with Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin claiming several waves of drones had been heading towards the Russian capital.

The latest escalation comes as diplomatic efforts to end the more than four-year war remain stalled. The White House confirmed that US President Donald Trump is expected to meet Zelensky during the NATO summit to discuss renewed efforts to end the conflict before also engaging with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.