/ Aug 23, 2026
/ Aug 23, 2026

Presidency faces pressure after police arrest Adeyemi’s father in fake agency probe

Published on

By

The controversy surrounding the alleged N1.3 billion Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) scandal intensified on Monday after the Nigeria Police Force reportedly arrested the father of the council’s promoter, Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi, as investigations into the alleged “ghost agency” continue.

 

According to Punch, Adeyemi, who claims to be the Director-General of the PFIPC, is currently standing trial at the Federal High Court in Abuja on charges of conspiracy, forgery and impersonation. The Federal Government has listed the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, and 10 others as prosecution witnesses.

Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, confirmed that police officers arrested Adeyemi’s father at the family’s residence in Ogbomoso, Oyo State. Eyewitnesses said officers arrived in multiple vehicles and also detained a family friend, leaving Adeyemi’s elderly mother in shock.

The reported arrest sparked criticism from leading legal practitioners and human rights advocates, who argued that Nigerian law prohibits the arrest of relatives solely to compel a suspect to surrender.

Nigerian Bar Association President, Afam Osigwe (SAN), said the arrest would only be lawful if Adeyemi’s father was independently being investigated as a suspect or person of interest. Other Senior Advocates of Nigeria, including Sam Erugo, Isiaka Olagunju, Wolemi Esan and Wahab Shittu, cited Section 7 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, which expressly prohibits substitute arrests.

They also pointed to constitutional protections guaranteeing personal liberty and stressing that criminal responsibility is personal and cannot be transferred to family members.

The Committee for the Defence of Human Rights also condemned the arrest, describing it as unconstitutional and calling on the Inspector-General of Police to order the immediate release of Adeyemi’s father unless credible evidence links him directly to any alleged offence.

The Nigeria Police Force has yet to officially explain the basis for the arrest. Force Headquarters spokesman Anietie Iniedu said he had not been briefed, while the Oyo State Police Command referred enquiries to the Force Criminal Investigation Department in Abuja.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation denied claims that public funds were released to the PFIPC. Spokesman Bawa Mokwa said the council never operated a functional government account because it failed to complete the account opening process by providing authorised signatories.

He also stated that although the council appeared in the 2026 Appropriation Act, implementation of the budget only began on July 1, after the controversy had already emerged, and no money was paid to the body.

The Senate also defended its role in the controversy. Lawmakers insisted the National Assembly neither created the PFIPC nor originated its budget allocation, arguing that budget proposals are prepared and vetted by the Executive before being submitted to lawmakers.

The latest developments have increased pressure on the Presidency over the alleged agency, which it had previously disowned despite its inclusion in the 2026 federal budget. The Senate is expected to address the controversy when plenary resumes.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Saliu Mustapha speaking during a television interview about the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.

Saliu Mustapha vows to defeat AbdulRazaq in Kwara senate race

Senator Saliu Mustapha has expressed confidence that he will defeat Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq in the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.   Mustapha, who recently defected from the All Progressives Congress to the Peoples Democratic Party, made the declaration during an interview with Channels Television on Friday. The senator said his departure from the APC was difficult because of his role in the formation of the party. He recalled serving as deputy national chairman of the Congress for Progressive Change and said he helped facilitate the merger that eventually produced the APC. Mustapha questioned AbdulRazaq’s political allegiance during the period the APC was formed, noting that the governor was then a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. “Where was Abdulrahman Abdulrazak then? Where was he then? He was in PDP then, fighting against us,” Mustapha said, according to TheCable. He said consultations with constituents and political stakeholders influenced his decision to leave the APC, describing the move as a collective response to what he called “shenanigans” within the party in Kwara. Mustapha had contested the APC governorship primary on May 22 but lost to Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. Danladi-Salihu secured 94,990 votes in the primary. Following his failure to secure the governorship ticket, Mustapha also lost the opportunity to return to the Senate on the APC platform after AbdulRazaq emerged as the party’s preferred candidate for Kwara Central. Asked whether he could defeat the governor in the senatorial contest, Mustapha gave an emphatic response. “I will have won that election 12 o’clock before one o’clock,” he said. When asked whether he was specifically referring to defeating AbdulRazaq, he replied: “Yes, it will be one election; Nigerians will be waiting to see the result.” Mustapha also claimed that members of the G15, the Elders Caucus and the Otoge Progressives were favourably disposed towards supporting PDP candidates in the 2027 elections. He attributed the development to dissatisfaction over the conduct of the APC primaries, including what he described as inadequate consultation and a lack of a sense of belonging among stakeholders. According to him, Kwara had more than 160 aspirants for state House of Assembly seats, about 17 governorship aspirants, 64 House of Representatives aspirants and 15 senatorial aspirants before the APC primaries. Mustapha said several political parties approached the aggrieved stakeholders, but they chose the PDP because of its support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 ambition. “We looked at the most friendly party,” he said, describing the Wike-led PDP faction as the leading party outside the APC supporting Tinubu’s presidential bid. The comments set the stage for a closely watched political contest in Kwara Central as Mustapha prepares to challenge AbdulRazaq for the senatorial seat in 2027.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.