/ Aug 23, 2026
/ Aug 23, 2026

USA exit confirms all 2026 World Cup hosts have been eliminated 

Published on

By

The 2026 FIFA World Cup will have no host nation represented in the quarter-finals after the United States, Mexico and Canada were all knocked out in the Round of 16.

 

The United States became the last of the three co-hosts to exit the tournament after a 4-1 defeat to Belgium in Seattle on Monday. Belgium’s convincing victory ended the Americans’ hopes of progressing on home soil.

Canada were the first co-hosts to bow out, losing 3-0 to Morocco on Saturday. Azzedine Ounahi scored twice before Soufiane Rahimi added a late goal to seal Morocco’s place in the last eight. Canada’s campaign was also affected by injury concerns involving star winger Alphonso Davies.

Mexico followed on Sunday with a 3-2 defeat to England at the Estadio Azteca in front of more than 80,000 supporters. Jude Bellingham struck twice within 98 seconds during the first half, while Harry Kane converted a penalty after England had been reduced to 10 men.

The defeat also ended Mexico’s bid to reach the World Cup quarter-finals for the first time since hosting the competition in 1986. Reports indicate that head coach Javier Aguirre is expected to be replaced by his assistant, Rafael Marquez.

The 2026 edition is the first FIFA World Cup to be jointly hosted by three countries and the first to feature an expanded 48-team format. The tournament, which began on June 11, is being played across 16 cities in the United States, Mexico and Canada before concluding with the final on July 19.

With all three hosts eliminated, the remaining quarter-finalists are Morocco, France, Norway, Spain, Belgium, England, Argentina, and the winner of the remaining Round of 16 ties.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Saliu Mustapha speaking during a television interview about the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.

Saliu Mustapha vows to defeat AbdulRazaq in Kwara senate race

Senator Saliu Mustapha has expressed confidence that he will defeat Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq in the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.   Mustapha, who recently defected from the All Progressives Congress to the Peoples Democratic Party, made the declaration during an interview with Channels Television on Friday. The senator said his departure from the APC was difficult because of his role in the formation of the party. He recalled serving as deputy national chairman of the Congress for Progressive Change and said he helped facilitate the merger that eventually produced the APC. Mustapha questioned AbdulRazaq’s political allegiance during the period the APC was formed, noting that the governor was then a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. “Where was Abdulrahman Abdulrazak then? Where was he then? He was in PDP then, fighting against us,” Mustapha said, according to TheCable. He said consultations with constituents and political stakeholders influenced his decision to leave the APC, describing the move as a collective response to what he called “shenanigans” within the party in Kwara. Mustapha had contested the APC governorship primary on May 22 but lost to Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. Danladi-Salihu secured 94,990 votes in the primary. Following his failure to secure the governorship ticket, Mustapha also lost the opportunity to return to the Senate on the APC platform after AbdulRazaq emerged as the party’s preferred candidate for Kwara Central. Asked whether he could defeat the governor in the senatorial contest, Mustapha gave an emphatic response. “I will have won that election 12 o’clock before one o’clock,” he said. When asked whether he was specifically referring to defeating AbdulRazaq, he replied: “Yes, it will be one election; Nigerians will be waiting to see the result.” Mustapha also claimed that members of the G15, the Elders Caucus and the Otoge Progressives were favourably disposed towards supporting PDP candidates in the 2027 elections. He attributed the development to dissatisfaction over the conduct of the APC primaries, including what he described as inadequate consultation and a lack of a sense of belonging among stakeholders. According to him, Kwara had more than 160 aspirants for state House of Assembly seats, about 17 governorship aspirants, 64 House of Representatives aspirants and 15 senatorial aspirants before the APC primaries. Mustapha said several political parties approached the aggrieved stakeholders, but they chose the PDP because of its support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 ambition. “We looked at the most friendly party,” he said, describing the Wike-led PDP faction as the leading party outside the APC supporting Tinubu’s presidential bid. The comments set the stage for a closely watched political contest in Kwara Central as Mustapha prepares to challenge AbdulRazaq for the senatorial seat in 2027.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.