/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Rivers drama deepens as Fubara exits APC governorship race

Published on

By

Governor Siminalayi Fubara has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary in Rivers State, deepening the political drama surrounding the party’s nationwide primaries ahead of the 2027 elections.

 

According to Punch Newspapers, Fubara announced his withdrawal late Wednesday, saying the decision was made after consultations and in the interest of peace, unity and stability in Rivers State.

In a statement titled My Decision to Withdraw from the APC Gubernatorial Primaries, the Rivers governor said leadership required sacrifice and that personal ambition must give way to the collective interest of the state.

Fubara also dismissed suggestions that his withdrawal was due to fear or weakness, insisting it was a deliberate move to allow Rivers State move forward peacefully.

The development comes after months of political tension between Fubara and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, whose rivalry has dominated Rivers politics since 2023.

The crisis had previously led to emergency rule in Rivers State in 2025 after President Bola Tinubu intervened unsuccessfully in reconciliation efforts between both camps.

Before Fubara’s withdrawal, several politicians considered loyal to him had reportedly been disqualified from legislative primaries, including allies in the Rivers State House of Assembly and National Assembly members believed to support the governor.

Former APC governorship aspirants Tonye Cole and Dakorinama George-Kelly also stepped down from the race, leaving House of Representatives Minority Leader Kingsley Chinda as the sole remaining governorship aspirant in Rivers APC.

Cole said his withdrawal followed consultations with party leaders and was aimed at preserving unity within the APC ahead of the 2027 elections.

Across the country, APC governorship primaries have sparked intense political manoeuvring, with several governors pushing consensus candidates while some aspirants resist pressure to step down.

In Kwara State, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq endorsed Ambassador Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor, despite opposition from over a dozen aspirants preparing to challenge the move.

In Plateau State, retired military officer Yilcini Bida rejected rumours that he had stepped down for Governor Caleb Mutfwang, insisting he remained fully in the race.

Adamawa State also witnessed mounting tensions as political blocs linked to Governor Ahmadu Fintiri and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu reportedly backed rival governorship aspirants.

The APC is expected to conduct direct primaries in states where consensus arrangements fail, amid fears that unresolved disputes could worsen internal divisions before the governorship elections.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.