/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

SDP Crisis: Gabam faction expels Adebayo and others, dissolves NWC

Published on

By

The leadership crisis in the Social Democratic Party (SDP) deepened after the faction loyal to reinstated National Chairman Shehu Gabam announced the expulsion of 13 party chieftains, including former presidential candidate Adewole Adebayo.

 

The development emerged during the party’s national convention and presidential primaries held in Abuja on Wednesday, according to a report by Punch Newspapers.

Delegates aligned with Gabam also adopted businessman Abimbola Atanda as the party’s new sole presidential candidate through a voice vote.

Others expelled alongside Adebayo include factional National Chairman Sadiq Gombe, National Secretary Olu Agunloye, National Publicity Secretary Rufus Aiyenigba, Joseph Abu, Maggie Batubo, Sa’adatu Abdullahi, Abimbola Aderemi, Oguchukwu Uba, Huseesini Bello, Alabi Lekan, Rosemary Effiong and Abubakar Modibo.

The convention also dissolved the party’s National Working Committee before electing a fresh leadership team through a voice vote.

The newly inaugurated officers include Gabam as National Chairman, Adebola Abbas as National Secretary, Ibrahim Biu as Deputy National Secretary, Dr Uchechukwu Chukwuma as National Organising Secretary, Muka’ila Mavo as National Legal Adviser, Zakari Nadabu as National Publicity Secretary, Hauwa Ahmed as National Woman Leader, Steven Otu as National Youth Leader and Abubakar Isiaka as National Financial Secretary.

In a statement during the convention, the faction said the affected members were sanctioned for allegedly violating the party’s constitution and undermining internal unity.

Gabam later told journalists that the crisis had strengthened the party rather than weakened it.

“We have bounced back and are fully operational,” he said, adding that institutions including the Independent National Electoral Commission and the judiciary had been informed about alleged irregularities within the party.

However, the rival faction led by Gombe rejected the convention and expulsions, describing them as illegal and unconstitutional.

Speaking in a telephone interview, Aiyenigba insisted Gabam was no longer the authentic chairman, claiming INEC only recognised him because of an existing court order.

He described the convention as a “nullity” and accused Gabam’s camp of destabilising the party.

The latest development comes months after the Gombe-led faction earlier announced the expulsion of Gabam and some of his loyalists, escalating the battle for control of the party ahead of the 2027 general election.

The crisis shifted again in April when Independent National Electoral Commission formally recognised Gabam’s leadership and updated its website with the inscription “By Court Order”.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.