/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

TikToker remanded over false death claim of President Tinubu

Published on

By

A Chief Magistrate Court in Abuja has ordered the remand of social media influencer Ghali Isma’il at the Keffi Correctional Centre following his viral TikTok video falsely announcing the death of President Bola Tinubu.

Isma’il, 29, was arrested by the Department of State Services (DSS) after he posted the video on his verified TikTok handle, @bola_asiwaju, alleging that the President had died from poisoning. The video quickly circulated online, sparking alarm and public reaction.

Zagzola Makama reports that the defendant, a native of Jogana Village in Gezawa Local Government Area of Kano State, was arraigned on a two-count charge relating to publication of false information and incitement of disaffection against the government.

The first charge, “Publication of false news with intent to cause offence against public peace,” alleged that Isma’il knowingly spread unverified information on July 20, 2025, claiming President Tinubu was critically ill and had died. Prosecutors say this was intended to disturb public order, an offence punishable under Section 418 of the Penal Code Act.

The second charge, “Inciting disaffection to the government,” accused Isma’il of attempting to stir contempt and public disaffection towards the President through deliberate misinformation — a violation of Section 416 of the Penal Code.

Magistrate Ekpeyong Iyang denied the bail application submitted by the defence and ordered the accused to be held in custody until the next hearing, scheduled for August 19.

Isma’il’s arraignment follows recent high-profile misinformation cases, including a retracted report by U.S.-based journalism professor Farooq Kperogi, who falsely claimed former President Muhammadu Buhari was divorced at the time of his death.

You May Like

4 thoughts on “TikToker remanded over false death claim of President Tinubu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.