/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Trump marks US at 250 with warning over American identity

Published on

By

The United States of America marked its 250th Independence Day anniversary on Saturday amid nationwide celebrations, political tensions and growing concerns over deep national divisions.

 

Speaking during Independence Day events at Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Donald Trump warned that American identity is facing a renewed threat, declaring that the country is under attack from domestic radicals and extremists.

According to Channels Television, citing AFP, Trump said there had been attempts in recent years to weaken American values and disconnect citizens from the nation’s history.

The US president accused political opponents on the far-left of posing a threat to the country ahead of November’s midterm elections, describing a resurgence of what he called a “communist menace” in America.

“You do not have to be born here, but you do have to love what we have built,” Trump said during his address.

The Independence Day celebrations come at a difficult moment for the country, with millions of Americans facing extreme heat conditions. Reports indicate that nearly 160 million people are under severe heat warnings, disrupting parades and public gatherings across several cities.

Despite the extreme weather, Trump is expected to headline a major rally on the National Mall in Washington, featuring military flyovers and large-scale fireworks.

The milestone anniversary has also sparked reflection among many Americans on the state of the nation after 250 years of history shaped by progress, conflict, civil rights struggles and global influence.

A recent poll by Quinnipiac University found that 61 percent of Americans believe the country is not fully living up to the ideals outlined in the Declaration of Independence, highlighting the sharp political divide between Republicans and Democrats.

While some citizens expressed frustration over social and political divisions, others remained optimistic about the American dream and the freedoms the country offers.

The 250th anniversary celebrations therefore serve as both a historic milestone and a moment of national reflection as the United States navigates an increasingly polarised political landscape.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.