/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

PHOTOS: Peter Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 Poll

Published on

By

Peter Obi has been cleared by the Nigeria Democratic Congress as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its primaries for the 2027 election.

 

According to TheCable, Obi was screened on Tuesday at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja by the NDC’s national screening committee, chaired by Sam Egwu.

The former Anambra governor arrived at the venue around 6:45pm alongside Victor Umeh. After the exercise, Egwu announced that the committee was satisfied with Obi’s responses and confirmed he met all constitutional and electoral requirements.

Egwu presented Obi with an official clearance letter and the party’s nomination form numbered 001, formally confirming his eligibility to contest in the party’s presidential primary, with the date yet to be announced.

Obi had picked up his expression of interest and nomination forms on May 17, which was the original deadline set by the party. The NDC later extended the deadline for other categories of aspirants to May 24, but maintained that presidential nomination form collection had already closed.

The party said submission of completed nomination forms by all screened and cleared aspirants would begin on May 20 and end on May 26.

The development positions Obi as the only confirmed presidential hopeful under the NDC banner as preparations gather pace for Nigeria’s 2027 presidential race.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.