/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Fresh coordinated attacks rock Mali as violence escalates

Published on

By

Fresh coordinated attacks have struck Mali, with jihadists and Tuareg separatist fighters launching assaults on several towns and a prison facility in a major escalation of violence across the country.

 

According to Channels Television, citing AFP, the attacks began around 5:00 am on Saturday and targeted Gao, Anefis, Aguelhok, Sevare, and the prison complex in Kenieroba.

The latest wave of violence comes just over two months after similar attacks by the same armed groups against Mali’s ruling military junta. Those earlier offensives dealt a major blow to the government and reportedly led to the death of the country’s defence minister.

Mohamed Elmaouloud Ramadane, spokesperson for the Azawad Liberation Front, said several positions had fallen in Anefis, although fighting was still ongoing within the town.

A resident in Anefis told AFP that armed groups had entered the town, but Malian troops were continuing to resist. The military camp there had not yet fallen at the time of reporting.

Anefis and Aguelhok remain among the last areas where Mali’s army still maintains a presence in the Kidal region following heavy attacks in late April.

The strategic city of Kidal had already fallen to Azawad Liberation Front fighters during those earlier offensives, dealing a significant setback to the ruling junta.

In Gao, residents reported hearing gunfire and loud explosions near an army camp, raising fears of further clashes in the northern city.

In central Mali, explosions were also reported in Sevare. Security sources said several aircraft were seen flying over the area shortly after the blasts.

Meanwhile, the prison complex in Kenieroba, located near the capital Bamako, also came under attack. The facility houses jihadist suspects and other detainees.

One prisoner told AFP that heavy gunfire continued around the prison as inmates took cover.

The fresh attacks underline the worsening security crisis in Mali, where government forces continue to battle jihadist groups and separatist fighters across several regions.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.