/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Shi’ites, Policemen kill each other, more injured as Abuja procession turns bloody

Published on

By

The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, popularly known as Shi’ites, has alleged that the police attacked the peaceful Arba’een symbolic trek in Wuse, Abuja, killing and injuring many of the mourners.

This was as the police, in a quick reaction, also accused the IMN of carrying out an unprovoked attack on its personnel, killing two policemen and critically injuring three others, who are currently in the hospital battling for life.

The Shi’ites, on Sunday, held the Arba’een walk, the ceremonial trek that marks the end of a 40-day mourning period of the death of the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (SAW), Imam Hussain.

The movement, in a statement, signed by Sheikh Sidi Sokoto for the Islamic Movement and the Shi’ites leader, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, said the walk, which was previously held in Masaka and Zuba axis on Saturday, was peaceful and successful.

They added that medical practitioners were currently attending to the injured protesters, adding that details of those killed, injured, and arrested would be made available subsequently.

READ ALSO:

Stories of how over 1,400 protesters are languishing in Police custody

“We wish to inform the public that the police have attacked the ongoing Arba’een symbolic trek at Wuse District in Abuja and killed numerous mourners. While trying to disperse the Arbaeen trek, the police killed and injured numerous mourners.

“Presently, security agents are busy arresting the Arbaeen trek mourners. Medical practitioners are attending to those critically injured, and details of those killed, injured, and arrested will be made available to members of the press in due course.

“Before the commencement of the trek, we had searched all participants to ensure no infiltration, and the programme would end as scheduled. The Arbeen trek that was conducted yesterday at Masaka and Zuba axis ended peacefully and successfully,” the sect said.

However, in a statement by its spokesman, Josephine Adeh, Federal Capital Territory Police Command, accused the Shi’ites of fomenting trouble, killing officers, and vandalising patrol vans.

“The FCT Police Command wishes to confirm an unprovoked attack by the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria, popularly known as the ‘Shi’ite’ group, on some personnel of the Nigeria Police Force attached to the FCT Command at Wuse Junction by the traffic light, where two police personnel were killed, three left unconscious in the hospital, and three police patrol vehicles set ablaze.

“The proscribed organisation attacked the police checkpoint unprovoked, wielding machetes, improvised explosive devices (locally made bombs in bottles with kerosene), and knives,” the police spokesperson said.

Adeh said several members of the group had been arrested, adding that the Commissioner of Police in the FCT, CP Benneth Igweh, “condemns the unprovoked attack on police officers. He promises to bring those involved to book.”

“The situation is presently under control and normalcy has been restored. Further development will be communicated in due courses,” the statement added.

Newsmen reports that Shi’ites and security agencies in the country have a long history of deadly clashes.

Notably in December 2015, a deadly clash between the Shi’ites and the military in Zaria, Kaduna State left hundreds of the sect members dead with their leader, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, his wife, Zeenat, injured and arrested during a reprisal on their enclave by the military.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.