/ Aug 23, 2026
/ Aug 23, 2026

Tinubu gives ICPC 30 days to probe fake PFIPC agency, senate rejects blame

Published on

By

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to conclude a comprehensive investigation into the alleged fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) within 30 days.

 

According to The PUNCH, the directive followed the Presidency’s insistence that the PFIPC was never created by the Federal Government and has no legal backing, executive approval or presidential instrument.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu directed the anti-corruption agency to investigate forged appointment letters and other official documents allegedly used by Adeniyi Adeyemi Mathew, who claimed to be the Director-General of the council.

The investigation will also examine allegations that Adeyemi used the purported presidential appointment to obtain official recognition, diplomatic support and visa facilitation, while opening multiple bank accounts in the names of government agencies using allegedly forged documents.

The President further instructed the ICPC to investigate how the fictitious organisation gained an appearance of legitimacy, trace any funds linked to the alleged scheme, identify individuals or institutions that may have facilitated it and recommend measures to prevent similar incidents.

Tinubu directed all federal ministries, departments and agencies to cooperate fully with investigators, stressing that anyone found culpable should face the full weight of the law.

The directive comes after weeks of controversy surrounding the PFIPC, which reportedly received a ₦1.3 billion allocation in the 2026 Appropriation Act despite repeated claims by the Presidency that the agency does not exist.

The Presidency also maintained that forensic analysis carried out by the Nigeria Police confirmed that the signature of the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, on Adeyemi’s appointment letter was forged.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police have released Adeyemi’s father after questioning him over his son’s whereabouts. Human rights lawyer Femi Falana, who represents Adeyemi, criticised the earlier arrest of the suspect’s father, describing it as unlawful and insisting his client has consistently appeared in court and will attend the next hearing scheduled for July 27.

Also on Tuesday, the Senate distanced itself from the controversy. Senate spokesperson Yemi Adaramodu said the National Assembly could not investigate the matter because no formal petition had been submitted and the case is already before the court.

Adaramodu also rejected suggestions that lawmakers inserted the controversial budget allocation, stating that the executive branch was responsible for the appointments and administration of ministries, departments and agencies.

Adeyemi is currently facing trial before the Federal High Court in Abuja on charges including conspiracy, forgery and impersonation.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Saliu Mustapha speaking during a television interview about the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.

Saliu Mustapha vows to defeat AbdulRazaq in Kwara senate race

Senator Saliu Mustapha has expressed confidence that he will defeat Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq in the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.   Mustapha, who recently defected from the All Progressives Congress to the Peoples Democratic Party, made the declaration during an interview with Channels Television on Friday. The senator said his departure from the APC was difficult because of his role in the formation of the party. He recalled serving as deputy national chairman of the Congress for Progressive Change and said he helped facilitate the merger that eventually produced the APC. Mustapha questioned AbdulRazaq’s political allegiance during the period the APC was formed, noting that the governor was then a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. “Where was Abdulrahman Abdulrazak then? Where was he then? He was in PDP then, fighting against us,” Mustapha said, according to TheCable. He said consultations with constituents and political stakeholders influenced his decision to leave the APC, describing the move as a collective response to what he called “shenanigans” within the party in Kwara. Mustapha had contested the APC governorship primary on May 22 but lost to Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. Danladi-Salihu secured 94,990 votes in the primary. Following his failure to secure the governorship ticket, Mustapha also lost the opportunity to return to the Senate on the APC platform after AbdulRazaq emerged as the party’s preferred candidate for Kwara Central. Asked whether he could defeat the governor in the senatorial contest, Mustapha gave an emphatic response. “I will have won that election 12 o’clock before one o’clock,” he said. When asked whether he was specifically referring to defeating AbdulRazaq, he replied: “Yes, it will be one election; Nigerians will be waiting to see the result.” Mustapha also claimed that members of the G15, the Elders Caucus and the Otoge Progressives were favourably disposed towards supporting PDP candidates in the 2027 elections. He attributed the development to dissatisfaction over the conduct of the APC primaries, including what he described as inadequate consultation and a lack of a sense of belonging among stakeholders. According to him, Kwara had more than 160 aspirants for state House of Assembly seats, about 17 governorship aspirants, 64 House of Representatives aspirants and 15 senatorial aspirants before the APC primaries. Mustapha said several political parties approached the aggrieved stakeholders, but they chose the PDP because of its support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 ambition. “We looked at the most friendly party,” he said, describing the Wike-led PDP faction as the leading party outside the APC supporting Tinubu’s presidential bid. The comments set the stage for a closely watched political contest in Kwara Central as Mustapha prepares to challenge AbdulRazaq for the senatorial seat in 2027.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.