/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

EU removes Nigeria, five African countries from money laundering list

Published on

By

The European Union (EU) has removed Nigeria and five other African countries from its list of “high-risk third country jurisdictions” for money laundering and terrorism financing.

The other countries delisted are South Africa, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mozambique, and Tanzania.

The decision reportedly follows the countries’ successful removal from the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) grey list after reforms to strengthen their anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing (AML/CFT) frameworks.

In October 2025, the FATF announced Nigeria’s delisting from its grey list of countries with deficiencies in their AML/CFT regimes.

Countries on the list typically face increased monitoring and scrutiny by the task force.

According to Business Insider Africa, the European Commission confirmed on Wednesday that the affected countries had addressed “strategic deficiencies” in their financial systems and now meet international standards set by the FATF.

The commission said the reforms implemented by the countries were sufficient to warrant their removal from the EU’s financial high-risk list.

With enhanced due diligence requirements set to be lifted from January 29, the delisting is expected to ease trade and payment flows, reduce transaction costs, and boost investor confidence in the affected economies.

Reacting to the development on Thursday, Doris Uzoka-Anite, minister of state for finance, described Nigeria’s removal from the list as a major milestone.

“Big win for Nigeria! Removed from EU’s financial ‘high-risk’ list! Congrats to President Bola Tinubu on this achievement,” she wrote on X.

“As minister of state for finance, I’m proud of this boost to trade and investor confidence.”

You May Like

5 thoughts on “EU removes Nigeria, five African countries from money laundering list

  1. Hello there, I found your site via Google while searching for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.