/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Olubadan stops demolition of 186 houses in Ibadan land dispute

Published on

By

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, has halted the planned demolition of 186 houses at Isokan Estate Extension in the Elebu area of Ibadan following a growing land ownership dispute.

 

According to a report by The Guardian Nigeria, the monarch intervened after residents protested against the removal of rooftops from several buildings ahead of a proposed demolition exercise linked to a court judgment over the disputed land.

During a stakeholders’ meeting held at his Bodija residence on Tuesday, Oba Ladoja ordered an immediate suspension of all demolition activities and directed affected homeowners to reinstall removed rooftops.

The monarch also warned alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property until proper verification of ownership claims is completed.

Residents of Isokan Estate Extension had earlier stormed the Olubadan Palace, alleging that rooftops were removed between Thursday and Friday in preparation for large-scale demolition. The residents claimed the action followed an Ibadan High Court ruling reportedly favouring Mogaji Taofeek Abiola Olopade, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of about 31 acres of land in the area.

Oba Ladoja ordered fresh land markings to be conducted by independent surveyors alongside officials from the Oyo State Ministry of Lands to determine the exact boundaries of the disputed property.

“By doing so, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land and determine the next line of action,” the monarch said.

The Olubadan also commended the new Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for deploying security personnel to the area to prevent violence.

Speaking at the meeting, Mogaji Oloyin insisted the land belonged to his family through inheritance and said he possessed a valid court judgment and survey plan supporting his ownership claim. He added that attempts to engage affected landlords before enforcement began were unsuccessful.

However, the spokesperson for the Isokan Community, Mr Isiaq Olatunji, said residents had been living in fear since parts of some houses and fences were demolished.

He further alleged that neighbouring communities, including Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, were also facing threats, warning that more than 400 houses could eventually be affected if the intervention was not sustained.

Among those present at the meeting were the Chairman of the Association of Ibadan Mogajis, Chief Asimiyu Ariori, Secretary of the Land Committee Mogaji Odeku, Baale Apena and aides of the Olubadan.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.