/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Kano shut down schools, declares Eid-el-Kabir celebration

Published on

By

The Kano State Government has announced the closure of all public and private primary and secondary schools ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

 

According to a statement issued by the Kano State Ministry of Education on Wednesday, boarding school students are to begin their holiday on Saturday, May 23, 2026, and resume on Sunday, May 31, 2026.

Day schools across the state will commence the Sallah break from Friday, May 22, 2026, with academic activities expected to resume on Monday, June 1, 2026.

The announcement was contained in a statement signed by the ministry’s Director of Public Enlightenment, Misbahu Yakasai, as reported by Punch Newspapers.

Parents and guardians of boarding students were advised to pick up their children on the approved closing date and ensure they return promptly for resumption.

“Parents and guardians of students in boarding schools are advised to pick up their children on the approved closing date, Saturday, May 23, 2026, and ensure their timely return on the resumption date,” the statement read.

The Commissioner for Education, Dr Ali Makoda, also wished students, teachers, parents and other stakeholders in the education sector a peaceful and joyous Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf was pictured in the report accompanying the announcement.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.