/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Kano by-election: PDP, NNPP, ADC missing from ballot

Published on

By

Three major opposition political parties are absent from the ballot in Saturday’s by-election conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Kano State.

The affected parties are the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), and a coalition involving the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

INEC has, however, declared its readiness to conduct what it described as a free, fair, and credible by-election in the Municipal and Ungogo state constituencies.

The off-season poll is being held to fill two vacant seats in the Kano State House of Assembly following the deaths of the former lawmakers last year.

At a recent media briefing, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Kano, Abdul Zango, assured journalists that all political parties were participating in the exercise.

“All political parties were given an equal opportunity to nominate candidates. The commission is fully prepared to conduct a transparent and credible election,” Zango had said.

However, the final list of candidates released by the commission showed that only nine political parties were cleared to contest, excluding the PDP, NNPP, and ADC.

According to INEC, the parties participating in the by-election include Accord (A), Action Democratic Party (ADP), Action Peoples Party (APP), African Action Congress (AAC), All Progressives Congress (APC), Allied Peoples Movement (APM), Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), Young Progressives Party (YPP), and Zenith Labour Party (ZLP).

While the commission has yet to publicly explain the absence of the major opposition parties, the affected parties have accused INEC of deliberately denying them the opportunity to exercise their constitutional rights.

The NNPP, which is factionalised into three groups in Kano, reportedly submitted six different candidates for the two constituencies.

Reacting to the development, the Boniface-led faction of the NNPP, through Senator Mushud El-Jibril Doguwa, accused INEC of unjustly disqualifying its candidates.

“We duly submitted our candidates for the Municipal and Ungogo constituencies, but INEC refused to recognise our party for reasons best known to them,” Doguwa said.

He added, “This is a clear attempt to sideline us from the democratic process. We will not accept it. We are already consulting our lawyers and will institute legal action against INEC.”

Efforts to reach the Kwankwasiyya and Abdullahi Abiya-led factions of the NNPP were unsuccessful, as both chairmen could not be reached by phone as of press time.

On his part, the Kano State Chairman of the PDP, Alhaji Yusuf Kibiya, also accused the electoral body of violating provisions of the Electoral Act.

“We were ready and willing to participate in this by-election,” Kibiya said. “However, INEC only gave us four days to conduct our primaries and submit the names of candidates. That is not sufficient time, and it undermines the spirit of the law.”

He described the situation as “deeply troubling for democracy,” adding that the party would review its options.

You May Like

2 thoughts on “Kano by-election: PDP, NNPP, ADC missing from ballot

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.