The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, has halted the planned demolition of 186 houses at Isokan Estate Extension in the Elebu area of Ibadan following a growing land ownership dispute.
According to a report by The Guardian Nigeria, the monarch intervened after residents protested against the removal of rooftops from several buildings ahead of a proposed demolition exercise linked to a court judgment over the disputed land.
During a stakeholders’ meeting held at his Bodija residence on Tuesday, Oba Ladoja ordered an immediate suspension of all demolition activities and directed affected homeowners to reinstall removed rooftops.
The monarch also warned alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property until proper verification of ownership claims is completed.
Residents of Isokan Estate Extension had earlier stormed the Olubadan Palace, alleging that rooftops were removed between Thursday and Friday in preparation for large-scale demolition. The residents claimed the action followed an Ibadan High Court ruling reportedly favouring Mogaji Taofeek Abiola Olopade, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of about 31 acres of land in the area.
Oba Ladoja ordered fresh land markings to be conducted by independent surveyors alongside officials from the Oyo State Ministry of Lands to determine the exact boundaries of the disputed property.
“By doing so, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land and determine the next line of action,” the monarch said.
The Olubadan also commended the new Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for deploying security personnel to the area to prevent violence.
Speaking at the meeting, Mogaji Oloyin insisted the land belonged to his family through inheritance and said he possessed a valid court judgment and survey plan supporting his ownership claim. He added that attempts to engage affected landlords before enforcement began were unsuccessful.
However, the spokesperson for the Isokan Community, Mr Isiaq Olatunji, said residents had been living in fear since parts of some houses and fences were demolished.
He further alleged that neighbouring communities, including Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, were also facing threats, warning that more than 400 houses could eventually be affected if the intervention was not sustained.
Among those present at the meeting were the Chairman of the Association of Ibadan Mogajis, Chief Asimiyu Ariori, Secretary of the Land Committee Mogaji Odeku, Baale Apena and aides of the Olubadan.