/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Metro

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
NNPCL increases fuel price

August 5, 2025

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, has increased the pump price of premium motor spirit across its retail outlets. Gong-news gathered that NNPCL retail outlets in Abuja have adjusted...

New electricity tariff, over 40% takes effect from July 1, 2023

August 2, 2025

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, AEDC, has announced a fresh outage in parts of the nation’s capital, Abuja. The disco disclosed this in a notice on Saturday through its X account....

Trending

Rivers Assembly moves to impeach Fubara, deputy over gross misconduct

Rivers drama deepens as Fubara exits APC governorship race

Governor Siminalayi Fubara has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary in Rivers State, deepening the political drama surrounding the party’s nationwide primaries ahead of the 2027 elections.   According to Punch Newspapers, Fubara announced his withdrawal late Wednesday, saying the decision was made after consultations and in the interest of peace, unity and stability in Rivers State. In a statement titled My Decision to Withdraw from the APC Gubernatorial Primaries, the Rivers governor said leadership required sacrifice and that personal ambition must give way to the collective interest of the state. Fubara also dismissed suggestions that his withdrawal was due to fear or weakness, insisting it was a deliberate move to allow Rivers State move forward peacefully. The development comes after months of political tension between Fubara and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, whose rivalry has dominated Rivers politics since 2023. The crisis had previously led to emergency rule in Rivers State in 2025 after President Bola Tinubu intervened unsuccessfully in reconciliation efforts between both camps. Before Fubara’s withdrawal, several politicians considered loyal to him had reportedly been disqualified from legislative primaries, including allies in the Rivers State House of Assembly and National Assembly members believed to support the governor. Former APC governorship aspirants Tonye Cole and Dakorinama George-Kelly also stepped down from the race, leaving House of Representatives Minority Leader Kingsley Chinda as the sole remaining governorship aspirant in Rivers APC. Cole said his withdrawal followed consultations with party leaders and was aimed at preserving unity within the APC ahead of the 2027 elections. Across the country, APC governorship primaries have sparked intense political manoeuvring, with several governors pushing consensus candidates while some aspirants resist pressure to step down. In Kwara State, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq endorsed Ambassador Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor, despite opposition from over a dozen aspirants preparing to challenge the move. In Plateau State, retired military officer Yilcini Bida rejected rumours that he had stepped down for Governor Caleb Mutfwang, insisting he remained fully in the race. Adamawa State also witnessed mounting tensions as political blocs linked to Governor Ahmadu Fintiri and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu reportedly backed rival governorship aspirants. The APC is expected to conduct direct primaries in states where consensus arrangements fail, amid fears that unresolved disputes could worsen internal divisions before the governorship elections.
Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Desmond Elliot at a political event after losing the APC primary election in Surulere.

Desmond Elliot loses APC ticket in Surulere primary upset

Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot has lost his bid to secure the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket to contest for another term in the Lagos State House of Assembly.   TheCable reported that Elliot was defeated by Barakat Odunuga-Bakare in the APC primary election held on Wednesday in Surulere Constituency I. Odunuga-Bakare, who is reportedly backed by Femi Gbajabiamila, polled 11,385 votes, while Elliot secured 270 votes across the constituency. According to results circulating in a viral video, Odunuga-Bakare dominated most wards in the contest. At Owolewa Open Field off Randle Avenue, she secured 1,956 votes against Elliot’s 10 votes. She also recorded 1,805 votes in the Iponri/Eric Moore ward, while Elliot managed six votes. In the Akinhanmi/Cole ward, Odunuga-Bakare polled 2,191 votes compared to Elliot’s 82 votes. At Gbaja Stadium ward, Elliot failed to secure any vote as the female aspirant polled 523 votes. She also defeated the incumbent lawmaker in the Yaba/Ojuelegba ward with 980 votes against his three votes. Elliot’s only notable lead came in the Shitta/Ogunlana ward, where he secured 270 votes, while Odunuga-Bakare polled 169 votes. The lawmaker had been seeking a fourth term in the Lagos assembly after representing the constituency for three consecutive terms. TheCable linked Elliot’s defeat to his strained relationship with Gbajabiamila following the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa. Gbajabiamila had recently told political stakeholders in Surulere that Elliot’s role in the impeachment saga nearly cost him his position as chief of staff to President Bola Tinubu. He also claimed he asked Elliot to publicly distance himself from the impeachment plot, but the lawmaker allegedly failed to do so. Elliot, however, said he believed the move against Obasa had the backing of President Tinubu and described himself and others involved as “confused” during the political crisis.
NDLEA operatives during a raid on an illegal methamphetamine laboratory hidden inside a forest in Ogun State.

NDLEA busts N480bn meth lab in Ogun forest, arrests Mexicans

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has uncovered what it described as a massive methamphetamine production laboratory hidden inside a forest in Ogun State, leading to the arrest of three Mexican nationals and several Nigerian suspects.   According to a statement issued on Wednesday by NDLEA spokesperson, Femi Babafemi, operatives dismantled the facility during coordinated raids carried out in Ogun and Lagos states on May 16. Babafemi said the operation followed months of intelligence gathering and targeted a clandestine laboratory located in Abidagba forest in Ijebu East Local Government Area of Ogun State. The agency said more than 2.4 tonnes of methamphetamine and chemical substances valued at over $362 million, equivalent to more than N480 billion, were recovered during the raid. The NDLEA alleged that the facility was jointly operated by a Nigerian drug trafficking syndicate and Mexican methamphetamine specialists brought into the country to manufacture the illicit drug. Babafemi said operatives from the agency’s Special Operations Unit stormed the forest laboratory while another team simultaneously raided a residence in the Lakowe area of Lekki, Lagos, where the suspected kingpin, identified as Anochili Innocent, was arrested. The three Mexican nationals arrested were identified as Martinez Felix Nemecto, Jesus López Valles and Torrero Juan Carlos. The Nigerian suspects arrested at the forest site include Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Igwe Abuchi Remijus, Ifeanyichukwu Chibuike Joshua and Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor. The agency also confirmed the arrest of another suspect, Kingsley Orike Omonughwa, at a property linked to the alleged cartel leader in Lekki. NDLEA operatives further raided the residence of another syndicate member, Emeka Nwobum, which investigators said was being used as a stash house. NDLEA Chairman, Buba Marwa, said the total number of suspects in custody had risen to 10, including the alleged kingpin, the three Mexican nationals and six Nigerian collaborators. Babafemi disclosed that the seized materials included crystallised methamphetamine, liquid methamphetamine, toxic precursor chemicals and industrial solvents. The agency also recovered a Toyota Tacoma allegedly used for operations at the forest laboratory and a Toyota Highlander linked to the alleged cartel leader.

Must Read

Rivers Assembly moves to impeach Fubara, deputy over gross misconduct

Rivers drama deepens as Fubara exits APC governorship race

Governor Siminalayi Fubara has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary in Rivers State, deepening the political drama surrounding the party’s nationwide primaries ahead of the 2027 elections.   According to Punch Newspapers, Fubara announced his withdrawal late Wednesday, saying the decision was made after consultations and in the interest of peace, unity and stability in Rivers State. In a statement titled My Decision to Withdraw from the APC Gubernatorial Primaries, the Rivers governor said leadership required sacrifice and that personal ambition must give way to the collective interest of the state. Fubara also dismissed suggestions that his withdrawal was due to fear or weakness, insisting it was a deliberate move to allow Rivers State move forward peacefully. The development comes after months of political tension between Fubara and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, whose rivalry has dominated Rivers politics since 2023. The crisis had previously led to emergency rule in Rivers State in 2025 after President Bola Tinubu intervened unsuccessfully in reconciliation efforts between both camps. Before Fubara’s withdrawal, several politicians considered loyal to him had reportedly been disqualified from legislative primaries, including allies in the Rivers State House of Assembly and National Assembly members believed to support the governor. Former APC governorship aspirants Tonye Cole and Dakorinama George-Kelly also stepped down from the race, leaving House of Representatives Minority Leader Kingsley Chinda as the sole remaining governorship aspirant in Rivers APC. Cole said his withdrawal followed consultations with party leaders and was aimed at preserving unity within the APC ahead of the 2027 elections. Across the country, APC governorship primaries have sparked intense political manoeuvring, with several governors pushing consensus candidates while some aspirants resist pressure to step down. In Kwara State, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq endorsed Ambassador Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor, despite opposition from over a dozen aspirants preparing to challenge the move. In Plateau State, retired military officer Yilcini Bida rejected rumours that he had stepped down for Governor Caleb Mutfwang, insisting he remained fully in the race. Adamawa State also witnessed mounting tensions as political blocs linked to Governor Ahmadu Fintiri and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu reportedly backed rival governorship aspirants. The APC is expected to conduct direct primaries in states where consensus arrangements fail, amid fears that unresolved disputes could worsen internal divisions before the governorship elections.
Read more
Rivers Assembly moves to impeach Fubara, deputy over gross misconduct

Rivers drama deepens as Fubara exits APC governorship race

Governor Siminalayi Fubara has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary in Rivers State, deepening the political drama surrounding the party’s nationwide primaries ahead of the 2027 elections.   According to Punch Newspapers, Fubara announced his withdrawal late Wednesday, saying the decision was made after consultations and in the interest of peace, unity and stability in Rivers State. In a statement titled My Decision to Withdraw from the APC Gubernatorial Primaries, the Rivers governor said leadership required sacrifice and that personal ambition must give way to the collective interest of the state. Fubara also dismissed suggestions that his withdrawal was due to fear or weakness, insisting it was a deliberate move to allow Rivers State move forward peacefully. The development comes after months of political tension between Fubara and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, whose rivalry has dominated Rivers politics since 2023. The crisis had previously led to emergency rule in Rivers State in 2025 after President Bola Tinubu intervened unsuccessfully in reconciliation efforts between both camps. Before Fubara’s withdrawal, several politicians considered loyal to him had reportedly been disqualified from legislative primaries, including allies in the Rivers State House of Assembly and National Assembly members believed to support the governor. Former APC governorship aspirants Tonye Cole and Dakorinama George-Kelly also stepped down from the race, leaving House of Representatives Minority Leader Kingsley Chinda as the sole remaining governorship aspirant in Rivers APC. Cole said his withdrawal followed consultations with party leaders and was aimed at preserving unity within the APC ahead of the 2027 elections. Across the country, APC governorship primaries have sparked intense political manoeuvring, with several governors pushing consensus candidates while some aspirants resist pressure to step down. In Kwara State, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq endorsed Ambassador Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor, despite opposition from over a dozen aspirants preparing to challenge the move. In Plateau State, retired military officer Yilcini Bida rejected rumours that he had stepped down for Governor Caleb Mutfwang, insisting he remained fully in the race. Adamawa State also witnessed mounting tensions as political blocs linked to Governor Ahmadu Fintiri and National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu reportedly backed rival governorship aspirants. The APC is expected to conduct direct primaries in states where consensus arrangements fail, amid fears that unresolved disputes could worsen internal divisions before the governorship elections.
Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.